Panic Disorders/Attacks/anxiety attacks

Question
hi carolina, first I would like to thank you for reading this. I am a teen that has recently been diagnosed with servre social and general anxiety. I am struggling to go to school and can only manage about half an hour a day. Every morning is a battle. I've offered to put myself into care because of what I put my mum through. This morning I had an anxiety attack that lasted for about 11 minutes. She said I didn't have to go today and drove home. She said nothing until we got back. I was told to stay in the house and she'll be back in a bit. It's been nearly 3 hours now and I'm worried. Do you think she's had a break down? She's the only thing keeping me going. I need my mum. Am I the problem? I love her so much. What can I do? 😣

Answer
Ella,
First of all, thank you for writing me. I feel your pain as when I grew up, I had to go to school everyday with awful panic attacks and nobody knew anything about that back then so it was a nightmare.
This is what I suggest you do.... You need to get a GOOD doctor that understands that you have the social anxiety as this is what is causing you most of the anxiety. You are stuck in a whirlwind right now because, since you want to stay out of school because of the fears you have, you are also feeling the anxiety of what your mother is thinking. She knows that if you stay out of school, she will get in trouble and, she wants you to get your education. MOST people that have Anxiety DO NOT want to take medicine to treat it. I do not know if you have spoken to your doctor and he has tried to get you to take meds or not BUT, if you want to get better, You Must Do It!
This type of anxiety can drive people crazy trying to help you, if you are refusing the help... I am not saying that you are but, you have to tell yourself that you want to get on with a Normal life and, this is the only way it will happen. I hope you have sat down with your mother and told her what you are going through so she does not think that you just want to ditch out of school. You can get so much help by taking the right medicine, you can become a whole different person and feel so much better. I have a niece that has the Exact problem and she finally decided to get on the medicine her doctor gave her which is Zoloft I believe. She is social now and it does not bother her to be around people at all, before, it freaked her out. I will be glad to speak with your mother also, if she has any questions about all of this. Please, let me know how you are doing and what is going on with this. I hope you have some clarity in what steps to take or direction to go. I also hope your mum will be able to understand it all. School Counselors help a LOT also.
Take Care,
Carolina

Panic Disorders/Attacks

Carolina