Panic Disorders/Attacks/Panic attacks

I was recently prescribed Xanax for my panic attacks. However, they confuse me. I have generalized anxiety disorder, which is unmedicated because I am able to manage it through another outlet, whether it be writing, reading, sleeping, drawing, petting a cat, or going for a drive. However, i tend to fixate on certain things (in this instance, my HSV IgM levels were slightly elevated at 1.92), and it will cause the worst panic attacks. I won't be able to breathe, I won't be able to sleep, I will shake uncontrollably, and I will feel like the room is closing in on me.

I really wish I wouldn't fixate on things, and although Xanax does seem to help with them, I want to find out how to manage them myself.

Can you help?

HI Katie,
Whatever the cause or source of anxiety attacks they all involve the overproduction of stress hormones, regardless of circumstances. These are internally generated due to a metabolic disorder.
The most most common cause - and here are others of course - is hypoglycemia (

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (

Please read: Beating Anxiety and Phobias  

and discuss with your doctor if you so want to.

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
List of my articles:
Also at Facebook:  

Panic Disorders/Attacks

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy of various mood disoders

Editor of the Hypoglycemic health Association of Australia

web site;

Author of the book:
"Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. Various articles in the Hypoglycemic Health Association's Newsletters

BA (Psych) Sydney University; Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)