Paranormal Phenomena/Dark Shadows

I have a concern regarding dark shadows. I usually see these at night and when I am relaxing in the living room or after I have finished work in my home office/den. They are real enough that I can actually follow them with my eyes before they disappear. I have lived in this home for quite some time and have never experienced paranormal phenomena before. What, or who, is happening???

After Image Effect
After Image Effect  
Hi Carla,

Given the circumstances surrounding your shadows I would say that they are likely caused by your activities immediately prior to their appearance. Despite what others may say, especially those who jump to the conclusion that all is mystical, there are usually reasonable explanations for seeing shadows. Most shadows are just that - shadows or tricks of light.

From a physiological stand I have discussed the workings of the eyes regarding photopic/scotopic vision and rods vs. cones in other answers regarding the paranormal. However what you are experiencing may be due to switching your vision from a well lighted surface to a darker one. Most people are doing one of two things in a living room, reading or watching television. When you are in your office I assume that you are also working with a lit background, namely a pc monitor. When looking from a bright surface to a darker one, especially if you have been focused on the bright one for any period of time [as little as 30 seconds] the eyes may see what is known as a complementary afterimage. This is generally a negative effect of what you have been looking at. Therefore a white screen will appear as a dark shape. if you view a blank surface, such a a wall. With larger screens and people spending so much time in front of a computer or staring at the lit background of a cell phone while texting their bff the phenomena of afterimages is higher. I wonder if this doesn't account for the increase of reported shadow figures that occur. The good news is that the effect is natural and harmless, provided the light source isn't overly bright damaging your eyes. The reason that you can visually follow the afterimage is because it is "burned' into your eyes so to speak. Technically, you are not following it - it is following you. Think of a speck of mustard on the lens of a pair of glasses. It goes where you go, turn your head to the right and there it is, look down and there it is. It will stay in front of you until you clean the glasses or remove them. The reason that the shadow disappears is because your eyes have both adjusted and readjusted to their new situation. I have attached a photo that will allow you to explore the afterimage effect. Open the photo and enlarge it so that it is full screen. Stare at the black dot in the center of the head for about 45 seconds. Then shift your gaze to a blank stop on the wall. The negative will appear and as you turn your head, it will move across the room. Nothing paranormal - just nature at work.

I would like it if you had your vision checked as there may be more to this than just a harmless afterimage. Shadows or dark areas of vision may be due to retina damage or other eye health issues. Better safe than sorry so go in for a check up in the next week or so. It would be neither responsible nor ethical as an expert or advice giver to lead you to the conclusion that the situation, any situation, may be paranormal in nature when a readers health is at stake - even in the slightest. My job is to help, not to put anyone in harms way because I am giving an answer based on personal biases and/or agendas. I hope that you understand.

Incidentally, there are computer gadgets available that will tell you to look away from the monitor with a pop up every 15 minutes or so to focus your eyes elsewhere for a minute. When people get involved in work on a pc, the eyes often suffer most. Of all the gadgets available, this one actually makes sense to have.

I hope that this has helped. Get that check up and if you are then still bothered by the shadows, contact me and we'll approach this issue from a different angle. Take care.

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha

Ghosts - Hauntings - Paranormal & Preternatural Phenomena - Parapsychology - Death/Afterlife Studies

Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies (Eidolon Project Canada)

Mr.Pocha will not accept Donations, "Prestige Points" or Ratings.

Greg shares his experience and knowledge as a special consultant on All Experts to help people find educated and unbiased answers from a professional in the field. He will be happy to answer your questions on the following subjects:Greg is the head of the Eidolon Project Canada, one of Canada's largest and best established Paranormal Investigation organizations. He and his team of professional investigators spend hours investigating hauntings and analyzing their findings. He has helped people internationally understand and deal with their paranormal activity. When giving an answer through All Experts the questioner can expect to be treated as an individual and given a thought out educated reply that will take in different aspects regarding their unique situation.

Greg Pocha is the Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies for the Eidolon Project Canada. Mr. Pocha is also a leading authority on 'Spectral Profiling'. He has been actively researching and investigating the paranormal in relation to ghosts, hauntings, paranormal activity, parapsychology, psychical research and other closely related areas as a professional since 1999 although his interest and study of the paranormal goes back nearly a half century. He is one of the founders of 'Eidolon Project Canada', an organization that researchs and investigates hauntings at no cost to their clients. Besides studying the subjects that most people consider 'paranormal', Greg also studies subjects such as Near Death Experiences, and other scientific areas. Greg has instructed the Paranormal Studies course for Edmonton Public School's Adult Continuing Education department. He has also given seminars for Edmonton Public Libraries programs. Greg continues adding to his knowledge through study and his continued active involvement in research and investigations of hauntings throughout his home province of Alberta, Canada. Mr. Pocha has been called in to offer his expertise and assist in independent investigations. His input and opinions are sought after and respected.

Greg is currently writing his first book, "BEYOND: Recognition {Ghosts, Hauntings and Spectral Profiling}". Note: This is an actual book, not a vanity published e-book.

Outside of practical hands-on experience and field work for over a decade, Greg owns a private reference library approaching 1,000 books dealing with the paranormal, ghosts, hauntings, parapsychology, physics, medical and other related subject. Here is a subject sampling of this extensive library:GHOSTS - HAUNTINGS - POLTERGEIST - CLASSICAL & QUANTUM THEORY - ENCYCLOPEDIAS / DICTIONARIES / ANTHOLOGIES on PARANORMAL STUDIES - TEXTS on PARAPSYCHOLOGY - DEMONOLOGY - CASE STUDIES - INVESTIGATIVE TECHNIQUES - HISTORY / MYTHOLOGY of GHOSTS - THANATOLOGY - NEAR DEATH STUDIES - HOSPICE CARE - PSYCHICAL STUDIES - BEHAVIORAL PSYCHOLOGY - etc.. Authors include: Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Albert Einstein, Stephan Hawking, Paul Davis, Carl Sagan, Allison DuBois, James van Praagh, Derek Achora, John Robert Columbo, Dr.Raymond Moody Jr., Dr.Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Dr. Maurice Rawlings, Dr.Melvin Morse, Dr.Janis Amatuzio, Dr. Kenneth Ring, Dr. Jeffrey Long, Harry Price, Hans Holzer, Andrew Lang, Ed & Lorraine Warren, A.Arthur Findlay, Nandor Fudor, Colin Wilson, Plato, DeCarte, Nietzshce, This ever growing library is available should references need to be made to help in answering your questions. Greg's on-going education in the paranormal and parapsychology fields is unending.

Due to confidentiality agreements made with our clients guaranteeing their anonymity, I can not list past/current clients. All of our investigations are refered to by case number only. Personal information regarding our clients is privileged.