Paranormal Phenomena/Dying moments

Question
Hello,
I recently lost my father to cancer. He was in hospice care for the last few months of his life. We, my wife and I, were called to his bedside when it became obviuos that his time was short. About an hour or so before he passed he began behaving in a rather peculiar manner. He was starting into the corner of the room and smiling as if he were in the company of somebody. This lasted for some time, about 45 minutes I would guess. Is it normal for the dying to hallucinate in this way? I would have asked the staff, but obviously, my mind and emotions were elsewhere. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Frank,

Thank you for your letter. I am sorry to hear of your loss.  I am glad that you wrote to me as I am very familiar with this subject. Before I answer I have to say that people who work in hospice care facilities are indeed a special breed of people, bless them all.

What your father experienced was most likely not a hallucination. I have to say "most likely" as to give an honest answer I have to honestly say that I was not involved in the experience personally and therefore must answer from the outside point of view as an expert, not as a participant. I'm sure that you understand. Here is my opinion...

What likely occurred is what is known as a "Death Bed Vision"[DBV}. Although this phenomena has been written about for centuries there has not been until fairly recently any serious study of the subject. However, with exploration into Near Death Experiences[NDE], Death Bed Visions have come out of the shadows. Now certain open minded Doctors, nurses and hospice care workers, as well as family and friends of those who have witnessed a loved one go through such an experience, are beginning to come forward. Of course the more that these experiences are related, the more study on them can be done.

Like NDE's, DBV's do not happen to everybody who is in the threshold of passing. Unfortunately the lack of consistency, that being that not every dying person experiences the phenomena 1- makes study difficult and 2- gives fodder to the skeptics. However, for as many "rational causes" including hallucinations of a dying mind that most pseudo-skeptics and nay-sayers come up with, those educated in the fields of the study of NDE/DBV can come up with as many counter reasons, or rationalizing the lack of ration behind the "rational reasons".

In a typical DBV a passing person is likely to encounter the spirits [spirits, not ghosts - there is a difference] of those who have passed before them. These spirits are usually family members or close friends of the passing. Other envisioned ambassadors of the spirit realm who may be seen are spirit guides, guardian angels / angels, or religious figures. Of course the latter depend on the beliefs of the passing. For example a Buddhist is not likely going to see Christ and vise-versa [unfortunately this is also used by the nay-sayers to indicate that a DBV is a psychological response to the death process known as "wish fulfillment"].

The purpose of the spirits is that of what has been refereed to as a "fetch", in that they have come to take the dying person into the spirit realm. They are essentially escorts, and are also a great comfort to the dying in easing the transition on a psychological level from old life to new life. It is easier to die if you are assured of entering a new life. [Again the critics will scream "wish-fulfillment"].  

Believe it or not, there have been documented cases from the testimonies of attending family and hospice workers [et.al.] who have also witnessed the DBV's that the passing are encountering in real time! One might also note here that many famous last words of many a famous person has referred to the visions that they have seen at the times of their deaths.

I believe with all of my heart that your father was fortunate enough to have those who have passed before him to take him into the spirit realm. I personally believe that the majority of those who pass in a hospice facility do indeed go into the light to become spirits. The reason is that they are fully expecting their inevitable future [accepting it is another matter] and therefore death is nether sudden nor unexpected. Note I indicate the majority and not all. However, as I also stated, as your father was escorted to the light, he is now an evolving spirit in a beautiful new world.

Frank, there is so much that I could write to you about this subject. I'm not alone in that regard so subsequently there are many books dealing with this fascinating subject available. I am more than willing to answer any further questions or concerns that you may have regarding this. Please contact me if you need any further help.

Take care,  

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha