Paranormal Phenomena/Intuitive feelings?

Question
Hello Mr. Pocha,
Sometimes when I go into strange places or meet certain people I get a strange feeling come over me. It is hard to explain but it is rather like a flush or a rush, if that makes any sense. I am not at all psychic in that I do not see or hear anything outside of the obvious, just the feeling. It does not happen all the time, but frequently enough to make me aware of it and to finally inquire about it. Any ideas???

Answer
Hi Jason,

"Gastroenterology"! How's that for a twenty dollar word. It may however be the study of what you are feeling. Let's take a look....

The past can be evident in the present and that is often the case with the human condition in that remnants of our prehistoric selves can often be found with us today. One of these is of what remains of what is assumed to have been a primitive sort of second "brain" located in our lower torsos, the gut, and is the origin of the term "gut feelings".

There is a layer of tissue that lines the stomach composed of certain proteins, neurons and neurotransmitters. Collectively they are known as the enteric nervous system. It is assumed that this primitive "brain" helped our very ancient ancestors in their survival in the quest for food, as our smaller head brain [at the time] had other matters to worry about. As our head brains became more developed, larger and complex, the survival brain became more dormant. As this primitive function was so much involved with our survival instincts, it may come into play when we are presented with an unfamiliar person or location. We have all had gut feelings where something or someone just didn't seem right. We have learned to suppress or ignore this feeling, often to our dismay. These feelings may also trigger the "fight or flight" reaction and cause adrenaline to course through our bodies. Many people mistake the location of the adrenal glands. Because they are triggered into action so often as a psychological response, many assume them to be located near the head, if not in the skull all together. They are actually in the lower part of the body, nearer the kidneys, and closer to what once was our primitive "brain".

Yes Jason, this complex system is part of what we now call intuition. It is a physical reaction, but with certain people may also be a part of a more complex psychical one as well. You are feeling what we were meant to feel, but have so often put on the back burner.

I hope that this has helped clear things up for you. If you have any further questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact me, I'm here to help.

Take care,

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha