Paranormal Phenomena/Possession

QUESTION: Hi I just wanted to know something about possession?
Can you please answer all of my questions.

How rare is possession?
Who gets possessed?
How do they get possessed?
How do possessed people act?
What are some signs or symptoms of possession?

ANSWER: Hey Jasgeet,
Possession is very rare. Less than 1 in a million in fact. However, I can only tell you from a Catholic perspective, since that is my religion. In determining whether a person is possessed by the devil or his demons, the Church would first make sure he underwent thorough physical and psychiatric examinations. Eliminating these natural causes, Church officials would seek other signs: unexplainable physical phenomena, such as levitation or the unaided movement of objects; displaying super like strength; the knowledge and usage of archaic languages which the person would have no way of previously knowing, such as speaking Aramaic; and the secret knowledge of a person's life, particularly the exorcist, which no other person would know. Another sign is the vehement aversion to God, the Blessed Mother, the saints, the cross, and sacred images, demonstrated by blasphemous remarks or sacrilegious actions. The devil also reveals his presence by acts of anger and violence, and through blasphemous, sacrilegious, profane, and obscene remarks. The Bishop would authorize an exorcism only after serious examination and a careful weighing of all of the evidence.

The Roman Ritual prescribes a Rite of Exorcism, a series of prayers, blessings, and invocations in the exorcizing of the devil. (The Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments released a revised ritual on January 26, 2000 with the approval of Pope John Paul II.) The holy arsenal of weapons used in an exorcism include sacramental confession, the reception of Holy Communion, fasting and prayer (particularly saying the Rosary), the use of sacramentals (like blessings with holy water, the presence of a crucifix or other religious images), blessings with the relics of saints, and the invocation of the names of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and St. Michael. The ritual is repeated until the devil is cast out of the person, at which time the exorcist petitions God to never permit the devil to possess the person again.

During the course of the diabolical possession and even the exorcism, the person has not only periods of crisis when the struggle with evil is most apparent, but also periods of calm when one thinks the possession has ended. Interestingly, after the exorcism, the person does not remember what transpired while being possessed.

Determining a possession situation is very complex, and requires that the person be examined by both doctors and psychiatrists before such an endeavor as an Exorcism is performed. I hope this helps.

QUESTION: So I am guessing tha I am not possessed. I haven't been hearing any voices in my head or don't have and extra strength. Do you think I am possessed?

ANSWER: What makes you think you are possessed?

QUESTION: Idk one day I was about to go to sleep and I just got this wired feeling that I was possessed

I don't think you are possessed. You may have had what is called sleep paralysis, or you could have had a weird lucid dream before falling fully to sleep. I think about cheese burgers just before I go to sleep. Its just a weird thing. Now if you start speaking Aramaic, levitate and spew pea soup, all bets are off. Seriously, check with your doctor. You could have a health issue, or just anxiety.

Paranormal Phenomena

David Rountree

I have been doing scientific research into the paranormal since 1976. My answers are rooted in sound scientific principles and proposed theories on cause and effect of paranormal phenomena. I can answer equipment questions, what is measured, what it means, and how to put it all together.

Investigating, experimenting, and studying the paranormal since 1976

Acting Executive Director - Professional Society for the Advancement of Paranormal Research Director - S.P.I.R.I.T. Lab Co-Director - NJPRG Co-Founder - NJPIC Life Member - NJGHS Professional Member - American Association for the Advancement of Science Professional Member - International Frequency Sensor Association Professional member - Audio Engineering Society Professional Member - Rhine Research Center Consultant - Paranexus Anomalous Research Inc.

The Journal of Paranormal Research Visions Magazine online Author - "Paranormal Technology - Understanding the science of ghost hunting" Numerous paranormal related web sites - Google me.

B.S.E.E. Microwave Technology Minor in Physics M.S.E.E. Digital Signal processing Minor in particle Physics Currently working on PHD - Physics

Client list is confidential