Paranormal Phenomena/haunting becoming something scary

hallway to bedroom
hallway to bedroom  
Hi, I just want to start by saying the paranormal has always been something of a family affair in my life. My grandma always took "them" with her (she was from Hazzard Co. KY ) and all my family has had experiences with full apparitions, orbs, poltergeists, the whole nine yards. They believe that some of us "draw" them to us. I have always believed and have had experiences since childhood. My concern is that I have recently moved into an old building in Aurora, IN on the third floor of a historic building in the heart of the downtown district. This building was built in the late 1800's. As I write this I have chills and am trying not to acknowledge scratching at my door. My cat "plays" with someone in the back of the apartment. I have lived here 6 weeks. At first, I knew I was not alone, but this has been a thread in my life and thought little of it, as it is not unusual to me. My husband went out of town to work and I began to feel watched and did not sleep in my room that weekend. I don't like the feeling I get in the back of the apartment. While back there I smelled a womans perfume suddenly and it was gone. I think she may be looking after me. The woman that lived here before me said there will be a childs handprints on a door back there from time to time. I feel like there are several here. I saw a large mist in the hallway on the floor below me about a week ago, I was not scared. However; I have heard walking above me (nothing but an attic up there) since I moved in. My husband has been hearing things in the walls ( footsteps above me as I write this). My question is can they come in from the hall? There is scratching at my door that started today. I have heard that the 3rd floor in downtown buildings is where gambling, prostitution and murders occurred. This scratching has happened about a dozen times far, and I don't know, but it doesn't feel "good". The ones that are in here..can they leave the apartment? What is scratching and can it come in? Please help...this place has sooo much activity. My electric is constantly being manipulated, water heater turned off, main on breaker box can be heard being flipped off, footsteps, smells and now scratching and noises in walls. Thank you.

Hello Adrienne and thank you for writing me. Seems you have a lot of activity going on there for sure and I must say it all sounds very "typical" of a haunting. Obviously I am not there and cannot say 100% with certainty.
First, do not be scared, I know that may sound hard to do, but in actuality I have never been hurt by a spirit and do not know of anyone that has. T.V. can make it seem that spirits hurt people and are all evil, but that is not fact based at all, so hopefully that will bring you some calm. I know it probably does startle you and annoy you as well, this is their way of trying to get your attention and letting you know they are there, you could have an "Intelligent" haunt, which means it is a spirit that interacts with the living and the environment around it, ; ie: the electrical disturbances and the like. If the scratching is always the same and the same location, that may be what we call a "residual" haunt, think of that like a continual tape just playing over and over again, could even be a animal spirit or even squirrels in the attic scratching about. You may want to see if there is a squirrel nest up there. Then tend to come in during the colder months and will make all kinds of noise.

To really get you answers for sure, I would recommend having a paranormal research group come in and do an investigation. This will get you some real answers. If this is something you would consider, I can recommend a group in your area that would do it for free. I have a lot of contacts and I am sure I can find a legit group near you.

As far as them coming in, I would not worry to much as i said previous, spirits will not hurt you, they may get annoying and startle you. But I do not think they will bring any physical harm to you.

Please let me know if you would like to find you a reputable group in your area, I would be happy to help.

I wish I could be of more help, but since you are not local to me, i can only try and explain what is going on. real answers would require some kind of investigation.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help to you.  

Paranormal Phenomena

Robert E Reid

I can answer most question pertaining to the study and research of the paranormal. I am not just limited to questions about ghosts, but I am willing to answer questions about any strange and unexplained happening. The question I would try to stay away from answering would be that of religion and or politics. Neither of which I would like to argue about in a public forum type setting.

My experience in Paranormal research is vast. I have been researching the Paranormal for over 15 years now. I have great knowledge with The Tech. side of things. I have helped co-found two separate research groups as well as certified through Flammel College. I have served on the "Monday Night" education panel on the Haunted Voices Web Radio program and well as was a contributing writer for the web site. I am the Current President and Director Of the group PARS.

Paranormal Activity Research Society ( President and Director), New Jersey Ghost Hunters Society (South Jersey Team Leader). Founder of Reid Paranormal

I have articles that have appeared online, on , (archives)

I am certified a Certified Paranormal Investigator through Flammel College (online) Also certified through New Jersey Ghost Hunters Society. Served on The Haunted Voices Education Panel.

I have appeared on several Paranormal Shows to which I find to be considered and honor of types. I have appeared on the Travel Channels "Mysterious Journies" Episode " Prison of Horrors". Also appeared on the Travel Channels show "paranormal Challenge" Hosted by Zac Baggans.

Client list is Confidential.