Paranormal Phenomena/Near Death Experiences and Death Bed Visions

Question
Hi Greg,
I noticed that you have studied death bed visions and near death experiences. Could you briefly tell me what the difference is? Also, what happens to the brain after we die?
Thank you, Jaleen

Answer
Hi Jaleen,

Thank you for contacting me at All Experts with your questions. First I'll answer the last one... if you're eating, put down the fork! The brain itself is removed from the skull. We don't pull it out through the nose like the ancient Egyptians did but rather through a hole bored into the back of the skull. I have met several people driving on the roads whom I believe have had this procedure performed prior to their death. Removal of the brain happens as soon after death as possible, as are all internal organs as they tend to go bad, putrefy, the quickest as bacteria goes to work consuming us. Now if you are asking what happens to the mind - well there lies the mysteries of life after life. The mind is what is presumed to survive death. The survival of personality is the same as our personalities are created and maintained in the mind, the brain acting as a holding cell until we pass over. There are way too many theories and such to even try to explain it in any real detail here, and that would not do the topic justice.

The major difference between Near death Experiences (NDE) and Death Bed Visions (DBV) is timing. NDE's happen after the body has entered the state of clinical death - death has occurred whereas DBV's happen prior to death, from moments before to more rarely days before or even more in the odd case. People come back from a NDE, obviously, so there is more information about them. On the other hand less is known about DBV's as shortly after, in most cases the person experiencing the DBV is making a one way journey. Therefore we can only rely on the evidence presented by those passing in a short time frame. Details can be sketchy at best.

Similarities in both can be the appearance of predeceased family and friends who come to bring the deceased over, visions of a paradise type state, visions of religious figures (depending on the passing and their individual beliefs), glowing astral beings and a total sense of love, peace and serenity.

The majority of DBV's are made known by those who work most closely with the dying, hospice care workers among them. I have read of many accounts of this process of dying. Of course there are the skeptics and pseudo-skeptics who will announce a ton of reasons why neither NDE's or DBV's are possible, and in the case of NDE's most of the "logical" reasons have a counter that is just as logical. The bottom line is that no one - NO ONE knows the absolute truth and never will until 1- we ourselves die or 2- undeniable empirical prove is made (the latter may never happen). I supposed that the good news is is that if those who do not believe in an afterlife are right - the rest of us will never have to listen to them say, "I told you so!"

Well, Jaleen, that was about as brief as I could make it. I hope that I shed a bit of light on the subjects. If you need any more assistance, I'm here to help.
Take care.

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha