Paranormal Phenomena/odors

My lead investigator and I encountered an odor in an area of a building we were touring for a possible investigation. He and I smelled it at the same time in the same area but described it two different ways. He felt it was an offensive odor and I thought it was a sweet type of smell. Is this something that occurs often, what does it mean, and how should we proceed during the investigation(realizing we should try to find a logical explanation for the smell in the first place). Thank you ahead of time for your interest.

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts with your concerns and questions.

One man's meat is another man's poison. I guess that what one finds offensive another can find not so bad. One of the reasons for the difference in opinion may be due to factors, such as whether one smokes and how much and the proximity of having the last cigarette before encountering the odor. Another reason may be due to something one ate, or whether or not one just finished a mint or candy or was chewing gum. Taste affects smell and smell affects taste. And finally, not everyone has exactly the same sense of smell as everyone else as there is no "norm". It's like eyesight, some are 20/20 and others not... senses are like that.

Factors that may account for an odor may be gas fumes, mold and mildew, smells entering the area from a vent, window, crack in the foundation, drafts from a chimney. Dead critters such as rodents under floor boards or in walls can account for odors that seem sourceless.

When things like that occur, things that are subjective and opinionated, it is good to stop and discuss what it was that you experienced. Better yet it is good to NOT discuss it and write down what you think you experienced and then compare notes. That way the subjective opinion is not influenced by bias or another's point of view.

When you return to the site see if the same odor is still present. If so you can start to dismiss a paranormal viewpoint and look for something a bit more down to earth. Paranormal smells often include cigar/pipe/cigarette smoke, sulfur, cooking/baking, perfumes/colognes, animals (such as a dog, horse, etc., bearing in mind that animals can become ghosts), body odor etc. Unfortunately, most of those odors also permeate the realm of the living as well so a careful inspection and investigation of the site and its surroundings are important. As you can see it is not only the events, but the circumstances in which they are observed that is important in exploring the paranormal.  Something to bear in mind when doing an investigation is recording the directions of your site and note which way the wind is blowing at the time of the investigation. It is the small details that separate the hobbyists from the professionals in this field - or any profession come to think of it.

I hope that this has helped answer your concerns and thank you for taking the time and the responsibility to seek advice when you were in doubt. THOSE are the earmarks of a pro! Please write if I can be of any further assistance. Good luck on your findings.

Very sincerely,

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha

Ghosts - Hauntings - Paranormal & Preternatural Phenomena - Parapsychology - Death/Afterlife Studies

Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies (Eidolon Project Canada)

Mr.Pocha will not accept Donations, "Prestige Points" or Ratings.

Greg shares his experience and knowledge as a special consultant on All Experts to help people find educated and unbiased answers from a professional in the field. He will be happy to answer your questions on the following subjects:Greg is the head of the Eidolon Project Canada, one of Canada's largest and best established Paranormal Investigation organizations. He and his team of professional investigators spend hours investigating hauntings and analyzing their findings. He has helped people internationally understand and deal with their paranormal activity. When giving an answer through All Experts the questioner can expect to be treated as an individual and given a thought out educated reply that will take in different aspects regarding their unique situation.

Greg Pocha is the Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies for the Eidolon Project Canada. Mr. Pocha is also a leading authority on 'Spectral Profiling'. He has been actively researching and investigating the paranormal in relation to ghosts, hauntings, paranormal activity, parapsychology, psychical research and other closely related areas as a professional since 1999 although his interest and study of the paranormal goes back nearly a half century. He is one of the founders of 'Eidolon Project Canada', an organization that researchs and investigates hauntings at no cost to their clients. Besides studying the subjects that most people consider 'paranormal', Greg also studies subjects such as Near Death Experiences, and other scientific areas. Greg has instructed the Paranormal Studies course for Edmonton Public School's Adult Continuing Education department. He has also given seminars for Edmonton Public Libraries programs. Greg continues adding to his knowledge through study and his continued active involvement in research and investigations of hauntings throughout his home province of Alberta, Canada. Mr. Pocha has been called in to offer his expertise and assist in independent investigations. His input and opinions are sought after and respected.

Greg is currently writing his first book, "BEYOND: Recognition {Ghosts, Hauntings and Spectral Profiling}". Note: This is an actual book, not a vanity published e-book.

Outside of practical hands-on experience and field work for over a decade, Greg owns a private reference library approaching 1,000 books dealing with the paranormal, ghosts, hauntings, parapsychology, physics, medical and other related subject. Here is a subject sampling of this extensive library:GHOSTS - HAUNTINGS - POLTERGEIST - CLASSICAL & QUANTUM THEORY - ENCYCLOPEDIAS / DICTIONARIES / ANTHOLOGIES on PARANORMAL STUDIES - TEXTS on PARAPSYCHOLOGY - DEMONOLOGY - CASE STUDIES - INVESTIGATIVE TECHNIQUES - HISTORY / MYTHOLOGY of GHOSTS - THANATOLOGY - NEAR DEATH STUDIES - HOSPICE CARE - PSYCHICAL STUDIES - BEHAVIORAL PSYCHOLOGY - etc.. Authors include: Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Albert Einstein, Stephan Hawking, Paul Davis, Carl Sagan, Allison DuBois, James van Praagh, Derek Achora, John Robert Columbo, Dr.Raymond Moody Jr., Dr.Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Dr. Maurice Rawlings, Dr.Melvin Morse, Dr.Janis Amatuzio, Dr. Kenneth Ring, Dr. Jeffrey Long, Harry Price, Hans Holzer, Andrew Lang, Ed & Lorraine Warren, A.Arthur Findlay, Nandor Fudor, Colin Wilson, Plato, DeCarte, Nietzshce, This ever growing library is available should references need to be made to help in answering your questions. Greg's on-going education in the paranormal and parapsychology fields is unending.

Due to confidentiality agreements made with our clients guaranteeing their anonymity, I can not list past/current clients. All of our investigations are refered to by case number only. Personal information regarding our clients is privileged.