Paranormal Phenomena/Recurring nightmare

Question
Since i was around 4 years old I have been having the same nightmare. The scenario is always the same and I am now 30 years old. I had a happy stable childhood and there are no experiences i know of that could have triggered this nightmare. I generally have this dream at least 2/3 times a month.
The dream always starts the same way. I am in our family home and i hear an alarm going off outside. When I walk to the front door to see where the noise is coming from two men are thrown down the stairs (the stairs in our house are next to the front door) Both men appear to be dead and are covered in lacerations and blood. At this point my family have left the house and all the doors are locked. There is no way out. As I turn to look up the stairs there is an old lady at the top of the stairs smiling at me. She is very sinister and has become my personal nemesis over the years. When I run she gives chase and always catches me. As soon as she touches me I become paralysed and at this point she lifts me above her head screaming and laughing. It feels like I am being electrocuted.  This is where the dream ends. When i wake up it takes 5-10 sec to be able to move properly.
In 26 years she has never said anything to me. When I have tried to communicate with her it seems to make things worse. Is this apparition a spirit of some kind and how can i stop this dream from haunting me. I am probably just a weirdo with an over active imagination but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Alex

Answer
Alex, the theory I usually subscribe to about recurring nightmares is that they're trying to get us to pay attention to something we're ignoring. But because you have been having this dream since you were 4 yrs old, I wonder if this theory applies to you.

The symbolism of your dream is rich and varied. You might consider seeing a trained psychiatrist to try to get to any possible early childhood traumas that you could be unaware of. If it's not that, well, at least you'll have a better idea as to what it isn't. And then maybe, just maybe you could look to paranormal factors.

When I mention the word psychiatrist, for some people a red flag goes up. But I don't mean it as any kind of slight or insult. Psychiatry has come a long way since its questionable beginnings. If you can find a good counselor who is open to the realm of the spirit, you might really make a breakthrough in understanding and overcoming this dream material.

I hope this helps.

Paranormal Phenomena

Michael Clark, Ph.D.