Paranormal Phenomena/Paranormal Investigation and Christianity

Question
Hello Mr. Pocha,
I have been thinking of either joining a paranormal group that seeks out ghosts or starting my wow. However, I have also recently become a Christian and that is important to me as well. Very important. Do you think that there are going to be any conflicts with my looking for ghosts? Any input or opinion would be appreciated. Thank you.

Answer
Hello Leonard,

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts, Paranormal Phenomena, with your concerns I will do my best to answer you. I will warn you that my answer may be opinionated, but you asked for my opinions. Also religion is one of those subjects that is controversial and there will be those who read my response and will be in disagreement. I can't help that - nor should I as that would take away from their freedom to have and express an opinion - the same freedoms that I am about to utilize.

I will tell you right now that you are ultimately the only one who is able to make any decisions concerning your future and your belief system. All anyone can do is offer opinion and advise. To that end I will say that there may be some conflict in your quest for ghosts and your faith. Before I go into detail please realize that when I quote the Bible I realize that although verses, quotes, teachings and content may be attributed to one person or another, or even God Himself, the provable fact that these are actual words of one or another is suspect. I will not go into a history of the scriptures here. Suffice it to say that chronologically and in regards to authenticity of authorship, some of the Bible needs work. But that is not your question....

One thing that I have seen through the years is that in some, I'll repeat, in SOME people is that they tend to have forgotten God in their love of Christ. They have equated the Son with the Father and thereby have pushed the teachings attributed to God to the back burner. Some will argue that the trinity makes the Father, Son and Holy Spirit one and the same, and if that is so, then the words of God the Father remain equally important - not back burner material. I have also noticed that SOME Christians tend to treat the teachings in the Bible like items on a buffet table. They choose the items that appeal to them and leave the one's that they are not particularly fond of on the table. They bend the rules and take the words and twist them to fit their agenda. Bible experts are great at telling us not what God said, but rather what they believe He meant. How many earthly parents haven't said the words, "I meant what I said!"  For example, I have always found it amusing that at Easter, despite God, yes - God, laying down the law that split hoofed animals such as the pig are not to be eaten, that after church the family sits down to a Easter ham. A buffet table law? What is the reason [excuse]?  That God didn't mean us... were are not Jews, we are Christians, the rules don't apply!? When did Christ indicate that what His Father laid down as laws are to be ignored. I thought that the opposite was the truth. So that is my sigway to the teachings of the Bible in response to your concerns.

First off it is important that ghosts are not said not to exist. No where does it say anything like 'don't be afraid of ghosts because ghosts don't exist'. On the contrary, ghosts are taken pretty much as fact. For example, upon His resurrection Christ is reported as saying, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." -Luke 24:37-39.

Do not turn to mediums or necromancers; do not seek them out, and so make yourselves unclean by them: I am the Lord your God." -Leviticus 19:31. From that we could say that God is speaking of "commercial" mediums. However, it could be argued that anyone attempting to bridge the gap between the earth realm of the living and the realm of the ghosts are in fact acting as mediums. God does not state if the medium has to be amateur or pro. Follow this with, A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them. -Leviticus 20:27 I am not suggesting that every ghost hunter be stoned because they go against Biblical teachings - perhaps for being lousy ghosthunters and giving professionals a bad rap.

Let's continue. A little more specific to those who "inquire of the dead",  "There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. -Deuteronomy 18:10-12. I wonder how many Christian's who fall into one of those categories are now saying, "He didn't mean me...", twisting words and meaning to fit an agenda? 1 Chronicles 10:13-14 states that Saul was put to death for consulting a medium [the witch of Endor} and lost his kingdom to David.

Many will argue that the interpretation depends upon which version of the Bible is used, [and upon who is reading the scripture] that 'ghosts' could mean 'spirit' or 'familiar spirits'. Again, I am not to say. I am also not the one who has to stand before my maker and try to justify my actions with reasons [excuses] for what I've done. Willful hypocrisy is neither reason nor excuse. I suppose that the way one regards the Bible can be akin to how many regard stop signs. If it is inconvenient to come to a full stop, then slowing down will do. Or it can be ignored all together. However the sign says "Stop" and the sign means, "Stop". It's hard to justify anything less. Again, I am not the one who will be laying in my death bed worrying whether or not I did the right thing, at least not regarding my avocation and involvement as a paranormal investigator. I can not see how anyone can therefore become involved in ghosts, mediums, fortune telling divination, necromancy [communicating with the dead], or anything else forbidden by God in the name of Jesus.

So Leonard, can Christianity be combined with ghosthunting? I supposed that that concerns how much you regard your faith. No matter how one justifies in their own mind the reasons for their actions the important thing is the end result. By end result I mean the judgment passed for your earthly deeds, where personal justification means sweet tweet! Again, the ultimate choice is yours. I wish you luck in your decisions, endeavors and their results. What ever your choice, remember to be good at it. The fields of religion and of the paranormal have enough mediocrity.

I hope that this has in some way helped with your concerns. If I annoyed any Christians - forgive me [after all, that's what it's all about!] If I can be of any more assistance you know how to reach me. Take care and best of luck.

As a final note, the above are my opinions and may not reflect the beliefs of All Experts or their advertisers.

Sincerely,

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha