Paranormal Phenomena/Black Dogs

Question
My 17 year old son is seeing black dogs on a regular basis for some time now.  Up until now they have been just sightings and he is claiming that his friends are seeing them too.  I am a bit concerned now though because he informs me that the dogs are telling him to go with them to live in the "bush" (to live in the country}.

Should I seek professional help??

Answer
Hello,

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts / Paranormal Phenomena with your concerns. I will be able to help to a certain degree, that is with giving you information regarding the situation but the solution may lay in another's hands - that of a professional as you inquire.

Seeing the ghosts of animals is not uncommon. Witnessing astral [spirit] animals is more rare. In North American, Native peoples animal spirits are sacred and represented on their totem poles. Saint John Bosco was aided by a large black spirit dog that saved his life during an attempted robbery. Actually, when phantom dogs are seen, the description is commonly large and black.

There is a difference between whether your son's friends are actually claiming to see the dogs or whether your son is claiming that his friends are seeing the dog. In other words, who are you hearing the accounts from, your son or directly from his friends?

The first thing that I would do is to have your son keep a record of sorts when he sees a dog. This will prove helpful regardless of the source of help that he receives, especially if what he is witnessing is subjective. He should record what he was doing from the point of two hours before seeing the dog, writing down as much as he can remember as to where he was and what he was doing, eating, drinking, and who he was with. The point is to look for a common thread in the events. Perhaps he is having hallucinations brought on by food, drink or environmental conditions.

What I find interesting is that your son claims that his friends are also witnessing the dog. Mass hallucinations are not unheard of but are rare. So there may very well be a living dog, stray or otherwise wandering the bush. That is highly probable given that you live in the country. It is then the "hearing" of the dog "speaking" to your son that raises our concerns. That is not "normal". As I stated it may be paranormal, or it may be abnormal. I am not about to compare your son to a serial killer but will mention this purely as interest... The killer David Berkowitz [Son of Sam] claims to have received his orders to kill from his neighbors dog. What I am trying to point out is that there may be a psychological issue here, obviously not as extreme as the Son of Sam example, but hearing dogs speak is not normal psychological behavior. It may be a symptom of a psychosis. Baring that in mind, I would get your son to a general practitioner for a complete physical, including blood work and an allergy screen. That should help in finding a possible cause or eliminating a physical cause for the phenomena. If the problem is not physical, then seeing a psychologist, even his school counselor, is the next step to take. He has already shared his experience with an authority figure, you, so he obviously is also looking for answers and help. Good for him, for the both of you actually, as you too are seeking help from the outside. And that answers the question you pose - Yes, professional help is needed.

I suppose that the only other thing left it the possibility that this is a prank or a teenage act to gain attention. I only mention this as teens will be teens. However, that doesn't seem the case here.

I will warn, regardless of the source of the dog, your son should not follow it into the bush. No good can come of it. I recently watched a documentary and it touched on how telling someone not to do something can trigger a desire to do it, so I will leave the passing on of the warning up to you as you know your son best.

I hope that this has helped shed some light on your situation. I honestly feel that this is primarily a psychological issue and upon the discovery that all is fine, then parapsychological, or even paranormal causes may be at work. If you feel that I can be of any more help in this please feel free to contact me with a follow up and I will do my best to assist. I wish you both the best of luck on finding a solution to this.

Take care,  

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha