Paranormal Phenomena/made up ghost

Hi Greg,
I was looking over the profiles and I think that you could help me with this. I remember hearing or reading around ten years ago about a group that made up a fictitious ghost and it actually came into existence, or something like that. The details are hazy:D I believe that it had something to do with a paranormal group and happened in Canada and that a university may have been involved (Montreal?). Do you have any idea of what I am talking about? I hope so as any information would help. I believe that it happened and my co-worker says no way and I have a bet riding on this lol. Thank you

Thank you for writing to me at AllExperts / Paranormal Phenomena with your question. I don't know that I can help you win your bet, but I am certain that I can provide the information that you are seeking.

You are correct in your assumption that what you are speaking of took place in Canada, eastern Canada to be precise. However the city was Toronto and not Montreal. The name of the project was known as the "Philip Experiment". It was the brain child of the Toronto Society of Psychical Research [TSPR], under the direction of Dr. A.R.G. Owen and the experiment began around 1972 based on the fact that the author of paranormal phenomenon, Alan Spraggett made reference to it in the October 1974 issue of Psychic magazine. By 1974 Owens wife had already co-authored a book," Conjuring Up Philip: An Adventure in Psychokinesis" with M. Sparrow.

The idea of the experiment was to create a fictitious "ghost" complete with a fictitious history. Incidentally,this type of experimentation is still being done to this day in various ways, here is a link to an example of a parapsychologist, Dr. Ciarán O'Keeffe being involved in such an experiment [I'm not responsible for the title of the clip].

Anyway, back to the topic, briefly our fictitious Philip was a Catholic English aristocrat in the 17th century. He supported Charles I but Cromwell was in power... his wife threaten to expose him... he had an affair... the adulteress was accused of witchcraft and burned at the stake and he finally committed suicide...blah blah blah, usual juicy items that make a good ghost story.

With the story firmly in the minds and beliefs of the TSPR they began to try to conjure Philip up at prearranged meetings of the society - with no results. They then decided to try to conjure up Philip by conducting seances. From the first attempt "Philip" started to respond. First it started with the usual raps, 1 for yes, two for no. However "Philip was of very limited knowledge. In other words, he only knew about things that was included in the "script". Philip was ignorant of anything outside of the fictitious story... unless the group regathered to rewrite the details. Then Philip would be aware of the new information. Later a second group of the TSPR renewed the experiment with similar results.

In 1977 a report in New Horizons relayed a new approach to the experiment tried by Frank Riley attempting to tape record Philip. The attempt was successful. Here is where a university as you mentioned was involved, although not in Montreal but rather the University of Toronto, by Owen, Riley and the TSPR. A special chamber was constructed at the U of T to record "Philip". It was suspended on springs to damper vibrations, was constructed of concrete and steel to sound proof it, and was "quadruply shielded electrostatically with power lines isolated and ballasts from the fluorescent lights externalized." [That is real paranormal investigative work. With modern "ghost hunters" it's, "I heard a squeak, the place must be infested with ghosts and demons!!!"] However, in the periods of silence, or rather what should have been silence, voices were recorded, although they were not very clear as to what they were saying. The group had a predetermined word, "bananas", and they believe that the voice may have said, "Bernie's hat." In my opinion, that's really stretching it! However the fact remains, something that should not have been recorded was recorded.

What this all boils down to is that the group of the Toronto Society of Psychical Research may have been responsible for the very actions that they witnessed, as suggested by Iris Owens in the aforementioned book via psychokinesis. This is the belief of many who have studied the results of this experiment. Some believe that it may be likely that the group may have attracted an actual ghost that took on the role of Philip. Being able to telepathically bond with the group it would have known the story, but nothing more. A link to an actual video session of the experiment follows...

As for your bet, if you bet that a ghost was actually created you lose. If you bet that the experiment took place, or that it had results in creating responses you win. If you want a impartial judge, I say it's a draw!

I hope that this has helped you find some answers. If I can be of any more assistance let me know. Take care!

Greg Pocha / All Experts / Paranormal Phenomena

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha

Ghosts - Hauntings - Paranormal & Preternatural Phenomena - Parapsychology - Death/Afterlife Studies

Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies (Eidolon Project Canada)

Mr.Pocha will not accept Donations, "Prestige Points" or Ratings.

Greg shares his experience and knowledge as a special consultant on All Experts to help people find educated and unbiased answers from a professional in the field. He will be happy to answer your questions on the following subjects:Greg is the head of the Eidolon Project Canada, one of Canada's largest and best established Paranormal Investigation organizations. He and his team of professional investigators spend hours investigating hauntings and analyzing their findings. He has helped people internationally understand and deal with their paranormal activity. When giving an answer through All Experts the questioner can expect to be treated as an individual and given a thought out educated reply that will take in different aspects regarding their unique situation.

Greg Pocha is the Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies for the Eidolon Project Canada. Mr. Pocha is also a leading authority on 'Spectral Profiling'. He has been actively researching and investigating the paranormal in relation to ghosts, hauntings, paranormal activity, parapsychology, psychical research and other closely related areas as a professional since 1999 although his interest and study of the paranormal goes back nearly a half century. He is one of the founders of 'Eidolon Project Canada', an organization that researchs and investigates hauntings at no cost to their clients. Besides studying the subjects that most people consider 'paranormal', Greg also studies subjects such as Near Death Experiences, and other scientific areas. Greg has instructed the Paranormal Studies course for Edmonton Public School's Adult Continuing Education department. He has also given seminars for Edmonton Public Libraries programs. Greg continues adding to his knowledge through study and his continued active involvement in research and investigations of hauntings throughout his home province of Alberta, Canada. Mr. Pocha has been called in to offer his expertise and assist in independent investigations. His input and opinions are sought after and respected.

Greg is currently writing his first book, "BEYOND: Recognition {Ghosts, Hauntings and Spectral Profiling}". Note: This is an actual book, not a vanity published e-book.

Outside of practical hands-on experience and field work for over a decade, Greg owns a private reference library approaching 1,000 books dealing with the paranormal, ghosts, hauntings, parapsychology, physics, medical and other related subject. Here is a subject sampling of this extensive library:GHOSTS - HAUNTINGS - POLTERGEIST - CLASSICAL & QUANTUM THEORY - ENCYCLOPEDIAS / DICTIONARIES / ANTHOLOGIES on PARANORMAL STUDIES - TEXTS on PARAPSYCHOLOGY - DEMONOLOGY - CASE STUDIES - INVESTIGATIVE TECHNIQUES - HISTORY / MYTHOLOGY of GHOSTS - THANATOLOGY - NEAR DEATH STUDIES - HOSPICE CARE - PSYCHICAL STUDIES - BEHAVIORAL PSYCHOLOGY - etc.. Authors include: Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Albert Einstein, Stephan Hawking, Paul Davis, Carl Sagan, Allison DuBois, James van Praagh, Derek Achora, John Robert Columbo, Dr.Raymond Moody Jr., Dr.Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Dr. Maurice Rawlings, Dr.Melvin Morse, Dr.Janis Amatuzio, Dr. Kenneth Ring, Dr. Jeffrey Long, Harry Price, Hans Holzer, Andrew Lang, Ed & Lorraine Warren, A.Arthur Findlay, Nandor Fudor, Colin Wilson, Plato, DeCarte, Nietzshce, This ever growing library is available should references need to be made to help in answering your questions. Greg's on-going education in the paranormal and parapsychology fields is unending.

Due to confidentiality agreements made with our clients guaranteeing their anonymity, I can not list past/current clients. All of our investigations are refered to by case number only. Personal information regarding our clients is privileged.