Paranormal Phenomena/Sleep Paralysis

H i there.. im 20 years old iv had this problem since i was 13. It started getting worse. I call it an attack, until i did some research. I was just hoping you would know abit about what im going through. It seems like when ever i fall asleep on my back I have a dream that is really nice, all of a sudden I feel an evil presence come into my dream. I slowly start to get paralysed then I try snapping out of the dream when I do, I sometimes see something sprint for the door way.
All my siblings have the same problem. Only they actually see full apparitions and get physically touched. What information do you have about this.
Kara Norris

Hi Kara,

Thank you for writing to All Experts with your concerns. I found your letter in the "question pool" where it was finally made available for other experts to answer. I am assuming that the expert that you originally sent it to was unable to answer it for whatever reason and I decided to pick up the ball and run with it.

As you have already done the research on the sleep paralysis I doubt that there is much that anyone could add. However in my studies of parapsychology I have studied this phenomena. I have several books on the subject including medical texts on sleep disorders. Yes it does sound like sleep paralysis but in you case I believe that you are also in either a hypnagogic or hypnopompic stage when it is occurring.

Sleep paralysis, if not a symptom of narcolepsy, is most often found in those who have poor sleep habits. It has been studied but its relation to disturbed dreaming remains a medical mystery. In non-narcoleptic people it usually occurs [~72%] in SOREM [Sleep Onset REM] basically meaning a hypnagogic/hypnopompic state.

Causes can be sleeping on your back [as you mentioned], poor sleep quality or insufficient sleep, stress or over work. In medical studies it has been discovered that the mast majority of SP episodes are accompanied by vivid hypnagogic hallucinations. It is rare in fact to find an SP episode without hallucinations, however not all hypnopompic/hypnagogic stages or hallucinations are accompanied by SP. Hallucinations can include visual[faces most common but also humanoid shapes and so called 'shadow people'], auditory [hearing your name called or other voices from an unseen source],tactile [being touched, stroked, etc.] and other common experiences include a feeling of pressure on the chest, being choked or smothered, the presence of an entity [usually unfriendly or a 'demonic' presence]. oppression, and albeit rare, a sensation of being beaten. It's little wonder how in the past this has been associated with witches, curses and demons... now we have science.

It seems that you are one of the few who suffer from recurring SP episodes. As it is happening to other in your family, there may be a genetic link, although no studies have been performed to find one as far as I know. Perhaps you should review your sleep habits. Take time to relax before bed. Try not to use your phone for texting and stay off of the computer as the light from the monitor can trick your brain into thinking that it is daylight and throw your sleep patterns off. If you have a clock radio near your head, move it away so that is at least 6 feet from your head. Clock radios pick up electromagnetic fields [that is what a radio is designed for] and the EMF can play havoc with the temporal lobes of those who are sensitive. The temporal lobe can cause hallucinations.  If all else fails and this becomes an ongoing issue you should seek medical help to make certain that this is not symptomatic of a lager problem.

Well Kara, I hope that this has helped shed some light on your concerns. If there is anything else that you feel that I can assist you with feel free to contact me. I'm here to help.

Take care,
Greg Pocha, All Experts / Paranormal Phenomena  

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha

Ghosts - Hauntings - Paranormal & Preternatural Phenomena - Parapsychology - Death/Afterlife Studies

Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies (Eidolon Project Canada)

Mr.Pocha will not accept Donations, "Prestige Points" or Ratings.

Greg shares his experience and knowledge as a special consultant on All Experts to help people find educated and unbiased answers from a professional in the field. He will be happy to answer your questions on the following subjects:Greg is the head of the Eidolon Project Canada, one of Canada's largest and best established Paranormal Investigation organizations. He and his team of professional investigators spend hours investigating hauntings and analyzing their findings. He has helped people internationally understand and deal with their paranormal activity. When giving an answer through All Experts the questioner can expect to be treated as an individual and given a thought out educated reply that will take in different aspects regarding their unique situation.

Greg Pocha is the Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies for the Eidolon Project Canada. Mr. Pocha is also a leading authority on 'Spectral Profiling'. He has been actively researching and investigating the paranormal in relation to ghosts, hauntings, paranormal activity, parapsychology, psychical research and other closely related areas as a professional since 1999 although his interest and study of the paranormal goes back nearly a half century. He is one of the founders of 'Eidolon Project Canada', an organization that researchs and investigates hauntings at no cost to their clients. Besides studying the subjects that most people consider 'paranormal', Greg also studies subjects such as Near Death Experiences, and other scientific areas. Greg has instructed the Paranormal Studies course for Edmonton Public School's Adult Continuing Education department. He has also given seminars for Edmonton Public Libraries programs. Greg continues adding to his knowledge through study and his continued active involvement in research and investigations of hauntings throughout his home province of Alberta, Canada. Mr. Pocha has been called in to offer his expertise and assist in independent investigations. His input and opinions are sought after and respected.

Greg is currently writing his first book, "BEYOND: Recognition {Ghosts, Hauntings and Spectral Profiling}". Note: This is an actual book, not a vanity published e-book.

Outside of practical hands-on experience and field work for over a decade, Greg owns a private reference library approaching 1,000 books dealing with the paranormal, ghosts, hauntings, parapsychology, physics, medical and other related subject. Here is a subject sampling of this extensive library:GHOSTS - HAUNTINGS - POLTERGEIST - CLASSICAL & QUANTUM THEORY - ENCYCLOPEDIAS / DICTIONARIES / ANTHOLOGIES on PARANORMAL STUDIES - TEXTS on PARAPSYCHOLOGY - DEMONOLOGY - CASE STUDIES - INVESTIGATIVE TECHNIQUES - HISTORY / MYTHOLOGY of GHOSTS - THANATOLOGY - NEAR DEATH STUDIES - HOSPICE CARE - PSYCHICAL STUDIES - BEHAVIORAL PSYCHOLOGY - etc.. Authors include: Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Albert Einstein, Stephan Hawking, Paul Davis, Carl Sagan, Allison DuBois, James van Praagh, Derek Achora, John Robert Columbo, Dr.Raymond Moody Jr., Dr.Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Dr. Maurice Rawlings, Dr.Melvin Morse, Dr.Janis Amatuzio, Dr. Kenneth Ring, Dr. Jeffrey Long, Harry Price, Hans Holzer, Andrew Lang, Ed & Lorraine Warren, A.Arthur Findlay, Nandor Fudor, Colin Wilson, Plato, DeCarte, Nietzshce, This ever growing library is available should references need to be made to help in answering your questions. Greg's on-going education in the paranormal and parapsychology fields is unending.

Due to confidentiality agreements made with our clients guaranteeing their anonymity, I can not list past/current clients. All of our investigations are refered to by case number only. Personal information regarding our clients is privileged.