Paranormal Phenomena/Strange sensation at death bed.

Question
Hello,
I had an experience last year that has been bothering me ever since. My mother was dying of cancer and was placed in a hospice center for the last few months of her life. I visited nearly every day. One day I received a call from the staff and was told to come over as soon as I could as she was passing. I sat with her, holding her hand as her life slipped away. I heard her last breath and then something that was totally beyond my belief happened. I thought that I was passing out, I'm not that type of person. But the room seemed to, it's hard to discribe, but it changed shape! It then went dark and I went into darkness, I was certain that I was passing out by now. Then I saw a light in the distance... great, now I thought that I was dying too! But then there I was, sitting by the bed side holding her hand as if nothing happened. Was this all some sort of psychological response? Was it a physical response or did I just momentarily "lose it"?

I know that it all sounds like science fiction. It happened I'm sure. But what, if anything happened? I look forward to your answer. Thank you!

Answer
Hello Hank,

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts with a concern that is very rarely brought up. I wish to offer my condolences to you and to take an opportunity to commend everyone who does hospice work. Bless you.

What you had experienced was, as I stated, rare, but not unstudied although the amount of study done on the subject is scant. To give the phenomenon a name, it is known as a "Shared Death Vision" [SDV]/ "Shared Death Experience" [SDE] and could be categorized along the same lines as Shared Near Death Experiences [SNDE], also rare but not unknown. These are truly what would be classified as paranormal in essence, as it is not normal by any measure to share a death. It can also be classified as psychical, if not parapsychical, as it is even beyond the scope of most true "psychics" to share an occurring death, but perhaps only due to lack of opportunity.

I see by the tone of your letter that you find it hard to express exactly what happened. Most Death Related Experiences are common in that they are ineffable. The room changing is a common occurrence in those having a SDE. Many describe it as if the walls geometry changes, as if the room "morphs", or that the walls seem to be made out of water, or as if one were looking at a film of oil on moving water... people are right, it is ineffable! So what you describe is in line with what others have reported and what has bee studied and documented.

The darkness and the light was what has been described by those who have had a Near death Experience [NDE], and may I add, as explained in the Tibetan Book of the Dead, as the so called tunnel and the light. What you experienced was what your mother was experiencing. There have been reports of people having an SDE to not only go through the tunnel, but to actually see the greeting relatives and friends who predeceased the deceased and to even share the life review! There is no explanation as to the reasons or causes of SDE's, or why some are more involved than others. Perhaps we are only given that which we can handle. Needless to say people who have had a SDE are often confused and profoundly affected.

Well Hank, I hope that this has helped explain what I feel happened to you. Believe it or not, in my opinion you were lucky because you got a rare chance to see first hand the possibility of an afterlife as an person with no "metaphysical" agenda. You know by experience now that your mother is in the light, living and evolving spirit on a different level, and not trapped on earth as a ghost - although she is likely and able to drop by for the occasional visit. I also thank you for allowing me to address this rare and mysterious event. If there is anything else that I can help you with do not hesitate a second to contact me.

Take care,

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha