Paranormal Phenomena/Addiction

Question
Hi, have you ever heard of cases of spirits or ghosts helping people overcome addiction to booze/drugs, particularly cases where the very desperate partner of the addict asked the spirit presence in their home for help.

Answer
Hello Laura,

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts / Paranormal Phenomena with your concern. It must be difficult to watch someone that you care about waste away and I am not certain how much help I can be.

There are mission ghosts, those who have passed and remain earthbound to complete something left unfinished while alive. Some mission ghosts remain behind to try to warn others of a danger. This is about as close as it comes to a ghost aiding the living. I do not think that this is the case here. If a ghost is involved at all it may be in the capacity as one who has possessed your friends body. That means that there is a possibility that a deceased addict has "moved in" so that it can continue to get stoned. As in life, so in death.

There are some psychiatrists and psychologists who believe that possession by a ghost is the major reason that some of their patients negative and/or psychotic behaviors. I am not talking about head spinning, soup spitting demonic possession, but rather a mild possession by a ghost with an agenda. {It is amazing how often I use the words "agenda" and "ghost" in the same sentence}. In this case that agenda may be to get and stay high.

However your friend still has his spirit guides with him. They do not interfere with how one decides to live their lives. If a person is hell bent for destruction, regardless of the method, there is nothing that they can... no let me say that there is nothing that they will, do.  You can ask for their help in his behalf [you don't mention a gender so I will go with the masculine] but ultimately the decision to change and get help, regardless of the source, is up to him. Often the trip to recovery starts at rock bottom.

Moving away from the paranormal point of view and into the world of the living, it sounds to me as if your friend is suffering from clinical or chronic depression or a related problem. Alcohol and drugs [street variety] are used to self medicate. That is a double edged sword as it only makes the problem worse on so many levels. It is also a method of committing suicide albeit a long and drawn out method. Abuse is not so much as a cry for help but rather a whimper for help.

Laura, please visit the following link to Al Anon in Australia. They can help you in dealing with the issues that arise when one is involved at an emotional level with a person with an addiction.

http://www.al-anon.org/australia/

If you call on spirit guides to help you remember to ask your guardians of the pure white light to surround you and your home with protection each and every time. There is no harm in that - it has been proven that the power of prayer works in many cases. Prayers are usually related to religion but the fact is that any concentrated effort to seek sanctified guidance from forces beyond our scope is in actuality praying.

I would recommend the book 'The Unquiet Dead' by Dr. Edith Fiore. I actually use parts of it in my clearing ceremonies and you may find it of help. I am sorry that I could not be of much assistance on this but the solution is ultimately up to your friend. He is fortunate to have someone like you caring - the best of luck to you.

Take care,

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha