Paranormal Phenomena/Graveyard Ghosts

Question
Hello,
I have a question and I hope that you do not think it silly. I live near a cemetery and to get to a nearby coffee shop I cut through it as a short cut. Is there a chance that I could be followed home by a ghost? (Putting it in writting it even looks like a silly question - but I'm curious).

Answer
Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts / Paranormal Phenomena with your question. You are the second person to write to me from England today. Ghosts and graveyards, the stuff that tales are made of.

I used to live near the oldest cemetery in Edmonton, Alberta and cut through it on a regular basis, pretty much for the same reason as you. And there were times that I was scared...not of the deceased but rather of the living; it wasn't the best of neighborhoods.

I seriously feel that you have very little to be concerned about. The chances of you being followed home by a ghost are almost nil, at least as far as graveyard ghosts go. If a ghost decides to remain by his grave it is because that is the exact place where it wants to be, for whatever morose reason it has for doing so. It's interest is in where he is - it wants to be there and no where else [there are a few cases where a ghost has followed a relative home].
The graveyard ghost has no interest in you and no interest in your home, or anyone else for that matter.

For the record, cemeteries are among the least haunted of locations. Ghosts as a rule haunt a place that was significant to them in life. A cemetery usually does not fit the bill. It is not uncommon for a newly departed person to show up to watch their funeral, but as a rule they will then go into the light or go somewhere that held importance to them while they were alive.

It is a common misconception that places that are normally associated with death are haunted. The list includes morgues, funeral homes and of course cemeteries, when the fact is that these places are the least haunted. The definitive word here is "haunted". A haunting indicates an ongoing presence. As stated above, it is common for the newly departed to follow the body from place to place as it is being prepped for interment - from death bed to morgue to funeral home to funeral for example. But the ghost is transient and is therefore not "haunting".

So Jim you can take my word for it that you have little to worry about. Even if a ghost did follow you it would soon return to the place that holds significance to it and sadly for some, that is the place where the body is. I hope that this has cleared up any concerns that you had.

Cheers,

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha