Paranormal Phenomena/sightings

We have had two episodes lately that concern me. Yesterday I had my twin granddaughters on the deck with me. They are two years old and live with me along with my daughter. Suddenly there was a very large solid black dog standing at the foot of our steps staring at the twins. I never saw the dog walk up and neither did the girls. He was just there. What made this extremely strange is our large Boxer, which is very protective of the girls, was outside and this dog would have had to walk past our dog. I grabbed the girls and put them inside and went back out to get my dog. The black dog was standing by my dog sniffing him but my dog paid him no attention. It was as if he did not even see or know he was there. The previous week my daughter was putting the twins in the car and suddenly there were two very large identical coyotes standing there staring at her and the girls. They just stood there. Finally one of them looked at the other one and then looked up the hill. The other coyote then looked up the hill and they left. Very strange behavior for a coyote. We have had numerous spirit behavior at our home but this is not the normal type. What could it mean? Thank you.

Hello Tania,

It is always nice to hear from England. Your question is mostly concerned with the Norfork Shuck, a large black phantom dog that is a major worry for those who happen to encounter one. The good news is twofold, first  most of the stories of the shuck are embellished folklore and second, I do not believe that what you saw was a shuck at all, but just a common day ghost dog that coincidentally happened to be large and black.

Shucks are usually, according to witnesses and lore the size of a bovine calf, making it plump as well as tall. They also have, as a rule, long unkempt and uneven shaggy hair. The pièce de résistance are the large glowing eyes, usually red but can be green, all missing points in your description. There is a saying regarding encountering the infamous black dog, "Once joy, twice disaster and trice death." That does not necessarily mean the death of the observer(s), but rather like the weeping of the Irish Banshee, a warning of a future death in general, usually known to the observer. And contrary to superstition, some black dogs are benevolent protectors and guardians of those who encounter them. In any case, as stated, I firmly believe that your canine visitor was merely a ghost dog.

One reason for my reason is that the dog approached noisily. Shucks on the other hand, due to their mass, make a rather distinctive thumping footfall. The lack of glowing eyes is another give away. Animals, the more intelligent the better, can become ghosts if they have lost track of their owner, provided he loved the owner. Tales of ghost cats and dogs are quite common [no pun intended]. The fact that dogs seem to possess a sixth sense does not mean that your dog is lacking in these skills and therefore did not notice the dog. Living animals are not always "on" and can and often do miss paranormal events.

I believe that the coyotes was pure coincidence - although weird, as the species is not native to England and an 1981 law was passed to keep them out. Still they could have been snuck in or the results of some brought in at an earlier point, or they could have been dogs resembling coyotes as young German Shepherds do, who would be more likely to be domesticated and not afraid of humans whereas coyotes are spooked off by human contact and avoid us when ever possible.

As an opinion, the movie The Omen put a lot of the fear of the demonic dog [black of course and while the star was Ambassador to England] in the backs of peoples minds. To that end I am going to lead you down a different garden path, North American Native style by directing you to the following web site of the Manataka American Indian Council:

I do hope that this has helped ease some of your concerns and worries. If there is anything that you feel that I can help with feel free to contact me. The little ones need not worry.Ghost dogs are usually protectors, even spirit guides.

Warm Regards,
Greg Pocha .All Experts, Paranormal Phenomena

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha

Ghosts - Hauntings - Paranormal & Preternatural Phenomena - Parapsychology - Death/Afterlife Studies

Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies (Eidolon Project Canada)

Mr.Pocha will not accept Donations, "Prestige Points" or Ratings.

Greg shares his experience and knowledge as a special consultant on All Experts to help people find educated and unbiased answers from a professional in the field. He will be happy to answer your questions on the following subjects:Greg is the head of the Eidolon Project Canada, one of Canada's largest and best established Paranormal Investigation organizations. He and his team of professional investigators spend hours investigating hauntings and analyzing their findings. He has helped people internationally understand and deal with their paranormal activity. When giving an answer through All Experts the questioner can expect to be treated as an individual and given a thought out educated reply that will take in different aspects regarding their unique situation.

Greg Pocha is the Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies for the Eidolon Project Canada. Mr. Pocha is also a leading authority on 'Spectral Profiling'. He has been actively researching and investigating the paranormal in relation to ghosts, hauntings, paranormal activity, parapsychology, psychical research and other closely related areas as a professional since 1999 although his interest and study of the paranormal goes back nearly a half century. He is one of the founders of 'Eidolon Project Canada', an organization that researchs and investigates hauntings at no cost to their clients. Besides studying the subjects that most people consider 'paranormal', Greg also studies subjects such as Near Death Experiences, and other scientific areas. Greg has instructed the Paranormal Studies course for Edmonton Public School's Adult Continuing Education department. He has also given seminars for Edmonton Public Libraries programs. Greg continues adding to his knowledge through study and his continued active involvement in research and investigations of hauntings throughout his home province of Alberta, Canada. Mr. Pocha has been called in to offer his expertise and assist in independent investigations. His input and opinions are sought after and respected.

Greg is currently writing his first book, "BEYOND: Recognition {Ghosts, Hauntings and Spectral Profiling}". Note: This is an actual book, not a vanity published e-book.

Outside of practical hands-on experience and field work for over a decade, Greg owns a private reference library approaching 1,000 books dealing with the paranormal, ghosts, hauntings, parapsychology, physics, medical and other related subject. Here is a subject sampling of this extensive library:GHOSTS - HAUNTINGS - POLTERGEIST - CLASSICAL & QUANTUM THEORY - ENCYCLOPEDIAS / DICTIONARIES / ANTHOLOGIES on PARANORMAL STUDIES - TEXTS on PARAPSYCHOLOGY - DEMONOLOGY - CASE STUDIES - INVESTIGATIVE TECHNIQUES - HISTORY / MYTHOLOGY of GHOSTS - THANATOLOGY - NEAR DEATH STUDIES - HOSPICE CARE - PSYCHICAL STUDIES - BEHAVIORAL PSYCHOLOGY - etc.. Authors include: Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Albert Einstein, Stephan Hawking, Paul Davis, Carl Sagan, Allison DuBois, James van Praagh, Derek Achora, John Robert Columbo, Dr.Raymond Moody Jr., Dr.Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Dr. Maurice Rawlings, Dr.Melvin Morse, Dr.Janis Amatuzio, Dr. Kenneth Ring, Dr. Jeffrey Long, Harry Price, Hans Holzer, Andrew Lang, Ed & Lorraine Warren, A.Arthur Findlay, Nandor Fudor, Colin Wilson, Plato, DeCarte, Nietzshce, This ever growing library is available should references need to be made to help in answering your questions. Greg's on-going education in the paranormal and parapsychology fields is unending.

Due to confidentiality agreements made with our clients guaranteeing their anonymity, I can not list past/current clients. All of our investigations are refered to by case number only. Personal information regarding our clients is privileged.