Paranormal Phenomena/is my son really seeing things?

Greg Pocha wrote at 2014-12-09 11:33:40
Hi Jaime,

What your son is experiencing while he is being held down is a condition known as sleep paralysis accompanied with either a hypnopompic or hypnagogic hallucination. In the past, before it was discovered that sleep paralysis [with or without hallucination] was a physiolocical somatic condition it was assumed that one was being attacked by demons or a witch [old hag syndrome]. The noun "mare" indicates a female. This woman sat on the chest of someone while they were asleep [during the night] - thus the word "nightmare".

Sleep Paralysis, [SP], happens to everyone during the sleep stages, mostly as a defense mechanism to prevent people from acting out their dreams. The exceptions, few in number, who do not experience SP during the sleep stages can harm others and themselves. In the caveman days it came in handy to not be thrashing around during sleep letting every saber tooth tiger know where a potential midnight snack lay.

Information regarding SP and Hypnagagic/hypnopompic hallucination can be found on line so I'll end here.

Take care,

Greg Pocha,

Expert / Paranormal Phenomena / All Experts

Paranormal Phenomena

Philip Ernst, MSN, RN-BC, QMHP