Paranormal Phenomena/Shadow visitor

Question
Greetings Adam.
My question surrounds an event that took place many years ago. I believed it to be a singular occurrence, and I sort of shoved it to the back of my consciousness for much of my life. When I was a young child, we had family staying with us for a weekend, and the children (5 or 6 of us)all slept in our unfinished attic. I woke during the night and saw a figure which appeared to be wearing an overcoat and wide brimmed hat, standing in the doorway. The doorway was really just a framework separating 2 main spaces in the attic. There was moonlight coming through an uncurtained window behind. No features were visible, so it appeared as a shadow, although distinctly outlined. Fearing the "intruder," I shut my eyes and screamed. My father came upstairs, turned on the light and of course there was no one there. Given my age, it was easy to believe his explanation that it was all a scary dream. That said,I was certain at the time that I had been awake. I remember looking over at my cousins and my brothers, wondering who had woken me. The event is still clear in my mind.
The reason for my curiosity is that my 28 year old son recently confided that he saw a similar figure on more than one occasion. His description was very similar to my memory, and he divulged the information without any knowledge of my experience. He was also a child when it happened, though older by several years than I had been. Now we are both wondering what to make of this? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Karen

Answer
Hi Karen! :)

Well, I wouldn't codify your "visitor" as a "visitor". lol More like an intruder. Sounds like you're talking about the "Top Hat Man". Much more than a shadow person. Some think it's the devil himself. I don't think that but I think it may be a personification of evil. Generally as far as I know he doesn't DO anything. Except maybe spy and intimidate with his presence. But he's definitely a bad guy. Buddy of mine saw him in a back yard where he lived one night while investigating it. Can't remember if it pushed him or what. But he made the comment he believe he knew it to be satan. Oddly he was in a trance like state from the experience when he said it. NOW, that is simply my buddy's opinion. There is not much known about this demon. He's all over in stories just like yours. But nobody's ever had any actual interaction with it. May have some generational curses open in your family. Maybe. Giving it license to spy. Odd the fact that it's so common a entity to see, it's thought to be a big dog; but never does anything in regards to attacking or anything. :( So what you are describing is one of hell's best AND WORST kept secrets.

I hope that helped A LITTLE. Sadly, as I said, the Top Hat man's identity (even to demonologists like me) is still steeped in mystery. But that IS likely who you saw by your description.

Regards! :D God bless!

Paranormal Phenomena

Adam Aubrey Cornelison