Paranormal Phenomena/Deanne House in Calgary

Hi Greg,

I recently traveled to Canada and while in Calgary, Alberta had lunch in the restaurant at the Deanne House. Afterwards I took a walk around the home as it was pretty much open to the public. There wasn't much there along the lines of furnishings but the home was interesting. I have heard that it is supposed to be among the more haunted places in Canada, butI felt rather comfortable there. My friend, who joined me, is rather sensitive to the other side and she felt nothing as well. With all of the deaths reported there shouldn't there be more of a residue of events? Could it be that we just were at the wrong time?

Haunted Closet in the Deane House
Haunted Closet in the  
Hello Mary,

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts / Paranormal Phenomena with your questions about the Deane House. I hope that you enjoyed your stay in Canada, I only hope that you were here during the nice weather, winters can be a bit harsh.

T   he Deane House has received more than it's fair share of press. I have several books in my library regarding haunted locations and it is mentioned in more than a few. I have been to the Deane house on more than one occasion, although I must confess, it is usually to eat. That said, I always conveniently have some equipment on me to do an impromptu investigation when I can.

The home has not had as many deaths as rumored, or written about. There is only one confirmed, documented murder and one possible death of a former ownerwho who may or may not have died on site. All else is urban legion. So there is no big surprise that there is not a lot of darkness in the residual atmosphere.

I have to assume that you went to the house last year as it is currently closed for renovations, and will be until next year As a rule ghosts become more active during renovations to a site that they have taken up residence in. It would be interesting to note if the crews are experiencing any issues.

The Deane house may not be as "haunted" as thought, but rather in an ideal location for natural phenomena to cause haunt like sensations and accounts. As in real estate, location can be a prime factor. The Deane house is in a location where there may be an abundance of infra sound. Infra sound is sound that falls below a humans threshold of hearing, that is below 20 Hz. Infra sound has been linked to haunt-like feelings including auditory, tactile and visual hallucinations or sensations. The Deane house is plump in the mist of infra sonic sources including close proximity to flowing water. It is on the banks of the Bow River. Wind through trees can be a source; again the riverbank location is well treed. There is a fairly busy avenue outside its front doors. traffic can attribute to infra sound. It is within earshot on traffic going over a metal bridge - another source and finally it is near active train tracks. Finally, bear in mind that the Deane house is also an operating restaurant, so motors from fridges and freezers will also make a contribution to both infra sound and EMF radiation. The infra sound may be a major attributor to many of the feelings felt in the house. Bear in mind that many people enter the Deane house with the presumption and expectations that the home is haunted or that they are in a place of a murder and other deaths and therefore are of a certain mind set from the get go. Anything adding to that psychological state, even if by a rational cause, can be misinterpreted as "paranormal".

Another location specific cause may be due to "witch winds" coming in from the Rocky Mountains to the west of Calgary in the form of Chinook winds. These winds are commonly abundant with positive ions caused by friction. Calgary is prone to such winds. Witch winds can cause emotional changes in people. Suicides and homicides increases are linked to such winds. In general these ions have a negative physiological and psychological effect on susceptible people and may contribute to some of the feelings felt in the house.

EMF radiation may be another factor. One point of interest is the closet on the upper level that is assumed haunted. Outside this room, at the corner where the closet in question is located is a major power junction box located on a pole supplying power to the site. I myself have recorded higher than usual EMF readings near the closet. Does that mean that it is not haunted? No. I have also had that same closet door open upon request, not due to explainable causes [I tested first].

I well imagine that there is a ghost or two in the house, and I highly suspect that it is occasionally visited by some from the spirit realm. There may have been nobody [pre-deceased] present on the day that you and your friend were there. Ghosts, whether they are aware of the fact or not, are free to come and go as they please. And they are not always front and center when they are present. If individual freedom exists anywhere, it exists in the afterlife.

Maybe someday you'll make a return trip to Canada and revisit the Deane house. Maybe your luck will be better next time in regards to having an experience. Still, if not, there is always the restaurant and our famous Alberta beef! Seriously, if you have any more questions just let me know and I'll be more than happy to help.

Take care,

Greg Pocha / All Experts / Paranormal Phenomena.

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha

Ghosts - Hauntings - Paranormal & Preternatural Phenomena - Parapsychology - Death/Afterlife Studies

Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies (Eidolon Project Canada)

Mr.Pocha will not accept Donations, "Prestige Points" or Ratings.

Greg shares his experience and knowledge as a special consultant on All Experts to help people find educated and unbiased answers from a professional in the field. He will be happy to answer your questions on the following subjects:Greg is the head of the Eidolon Project Canada, one of Canada's largest and best established Paranormal Investigation organizations. He and his team of professional investigators spend hours investigating hauntings and analyzing their findings. He has helped people internationally understand and deal with their paranormal activity. When giving an answer through All Experts the questioner can expect to be treated as an individual and given a thought out educated reply that will take in different aspects regarding their unique situation.

Greg Pocha is the Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies for the Eidolon Project Canada. Mr. Pocha is also a leading authority on 'Spectral Profiling'. He has been actively researching and investigating the paranormal in relation to ghosts, hauntings, paranormal activity, parapsychology, psychical research and other closely related areas as a professional since 1999 although his interest and study of the paranormal goes back nearly a half century. He is one of the founders of 'Eidolon Project Canada', an organization that researchs and investigates hauntings at no cost to their clients. Besides studying the subjects that most people consider 'paranormal', Greg also studies subjects such as Near Death Experiences, and other scientific areas. Greg has instructed the Paranormal Studies course for Edmonton Public School's Adult Continuing Education department. He has also given seminars for Edmonton Public Libraries programs. Greg continues adding to his knowledge through study and his continued active involvement in research and investigations of hauntings throughout his home province of Alberta, Canada. Mr. Pocha has been called in to offer his expertise and assist in independent investigations. His input and opinions are sought after and respected.

Greg is currently writing his first book, "BEYOND: Recognition {Ghosts, Hauntings and Spectral Profiling}". Note: This is an actual book, not a vanity published e-book.

Outside of practical hands-on experience and field work for over a decade, Greg owns a private reference library approaching 1,000 books dealing with the paranormal, ghosts, hauntings, parapsychology, physics, medical and other related subject. Here is a subject sampling of this extensive library:GHOSTS - HAUNTINGS - POLTERGEIST - CLASSICAL & QUANTUM THEORY - ENCYCLOPEDIAS / DICTIONARIES / ANTHOLOGIES on PARANORMAL STUDIES - TEXTS on PARAPSYCHOLOGY - DEMONOLOGY - CASE STUDIES - INVESTIGATIVE TECHNIQUES - HISTORY / MYTHOLOGY of GHOSTS - THANATOLOGY - NEAR DEATH STUDIES - HOSPICE CARE - PSYCHICAL STUDIES - BEHAVIORAL PSYCHOLOGY - etc.. Authors include: Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, Albert Einstein, Stephan Hawking, Paul Davis, Carl Sagan, Allison DuBois, James van Praagh, Derek Achora, John Robert Columbo, Dr.Raymond Moody Jr., Dr.Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, Dr. Maurice Rawlings, Dr.Melvin Morse, Dr.Janis Amatuzio, Dr. Kenneth Ring, Dr. Jeffrey Long, Harry Price, Hans Holzer, Andrew Lang, Ed & Lorraine Warren, A.Arthur Findlay, Nandor Fudor, Colin Wilson, Plato, DeCarte, Nietzshce, This ever growing library is available should references need to be made to help in answering your questions. Greg's on-going education in the paranormal and parapsychology fields is unending.

Due to confidentiality agreements made with our clients guaranteeing their anonymity, I can not list past/current clients. All of our investigations are refered to by case number only. Personal information regarding our clients is privileged.