Paranormal Phenomena/Consciousness and Death

Question
Hello Greg,

I am writing because I feel that you are best qualified to answer this question. I am writing about the suicide of my uncle last year. He was suffering from major depression, stopped taking his medication and had been off of them for months and ended his life by taking a shotgun blast to his head.

My question is if there was little or no brain left, is it possible for him to have an afterlife? If the brain contains the mind, and conscious self, what was left to make the journey into the light or wherever he went if indeed he went anywhere? I sometimes think of this when I think of him or walk past a grave yard.

I guess that is my question. Any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Even if it is negative.

Thank you.

Answer
Hello AA,

Thank you for writing me at All Experts / Paranormal Phenomena with your question. It is unfortunate that you lost your uncle so tragically and I feel for your lose.

What has it been, centuries, millennium, that people have debated the mind / brain connection? We think and we are. Who we are, that is how we realize ourselves and the processing of thinking and consciousness seems to take place in the head and hence the brain. But the brain is not the mind and therefore theorized by some to be different from the white and gray matter, blood vessels, cells, neurons, chemicals and neurotransmitters, etc. that make up the physical brain. It is this matter that dies. It is the soul / mind / consciousness / self that survives death, regardless of the circumstances of said death.

Unfortunately, this has not been proven 100% and it is absolute proof that cynics and pseudo-skeptics want before they will accept anything. However they will accept the theory that black holes exist despite that same 100% proof is absent. What we see is not the black hole, but the EFFECTS of a black hole, we don't see gravity, can't put it in a jar, but we see and feel the effects of gravity. In the same train of thought, we see, feel and experience the effects of those in the afterlife, although absolute proof may forever evade our attempts to understand it or capture even a hint of un-debatable proof.

Your uncle's mind survived his death, regardless of the state of his brain. A perfect example exists in relation to a story by Time magazine regarding a certain Dr. Scott Haig regarding one of his patients who had severe brain damage due to numerous tumors. Upon a brain scan it was shown that his patient barely had any brain tissue left! However, before his actual passing he became lucid and very aware, something a "brainless" person should not be able to do. For several minutes he was fully aware and able to say goodbye to his family - he then passed over. If his brain was not responsible for this sudden and rare ability to become conscious, then the mind must have taken over the responsibility, indicating that the mind exists separately from the brain. Therefore your uncle is experiencing an afterlife. Incidentally, although rare [or not reported] people with major brain disorders have been known to become lucid and extremely aware prior to death. One of the members of the Eidolon Project Canada works in a hospital and related a story to me regarding a patient who had been wasting away for some time, her death was expected. One day she got up, was active and talkative, as if she were never at death's door. She was dead the next day.

A book that might interest you for the story and understanding death by suicide is 'The Otherside' written by Bishop James Pike. The book relates event surrounding the suicide of his son [and later the suicide of his secretary], and his chance to contact them from beyond death.

According to some, those who commit suicide after thinking about the act that they will attempt, are immediately met by their guides and taken into the light. This seems fairly common place. Of course there are those who remain earthbound as ghosts, but they seem to be the exception. Due to the emotion and tragic event, what people may mistake for a ghost where a suicide was committed is more likely to be residual phenomena. Those who commit suicide are reported to receive help from the beings of the light [spirits] with the reasons and the mind set of the individual. Something like an astral hospital. They are nurtured and cared for. So it is highly likely that your uncle is among those who can help him grow and evolve into a spirit being, and although his way of getting that help was due to a tragic, sad and unnecessary end to his physical life, the outcome is that he is now becoming whole and the being that he should be.

AA, I hope that I have shed some light on this for you. If there is anything else that I can help you with be sure to let me know.  Although it may seem difficult, be assured that your uncle is alive in a place where he is happy, whole and at peace, in the light of unconditional love and forgiveness. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get the living to act as if they were in the light before the actual fact? "To dream the imposable dream..."

Warmest regards,

Greg Pocha,
Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies,
Eidolon Project Canada Paranormal Investigation,
Red Deer, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta Canada  

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha