Paranormal Phenomena/self realisation of entering this body

Question
Hi Greg! When i was a baby less than 1 year old, i awoke and had the clear thought that wow im in the body of a baby. this has stayed with me all through my life. Could you have an explanation as to how i seemingly had an adult thought about viewing myself as a baby. thanks

Answer
Hi "J",

Thank you for writing to me at All Experts ? Paranormal Phenomena with your question. It is always nice to hear from the UK.

I believe that the key words in your inquiry are "I awoke". So apparently not only did you possess the processing of human language but you could also differentiate between being asleep and being awake. Although I believe I know what it is that you believe to have happened with-in your first 12 months of life, I will first refer to research done by  Dr. Benjamin Bloom, PhD, in 1956 called Bloom's Taxonomy. He had developed the six levels of cognitive processing (the cognitive domain). In order they are: Knowledge - Comprehension -  Application - Analysis - Synthesis - Evaluation.  Research and discovery have taken us beyond the seventeenth century theory of Rene Descartes' idea that we are inherently born with "substance dualism" (the knowledge that body is separate from mind, which in fact from a para-psychological point of view holds true, for some, as brain is tissue where-as the mind is without matter). However, under normal circumstances we are also born with legs, yet we do not run marathons at 6 months. As a rule we gradually proceed into fully operational beings. So I am going to have to go with science and say that although you may believe that this event occurred, that it, in reality, did not happen... as you believe it.  

Still running with science I will offer you two reasonable alternatives to what most likely occurred. There is a good chance that this is a case of "cryptomnesia", a term used in both psychology and parapsychology to describe a "hidden memory". When this happens, the person would think that this deeply subconscious memory is new or original. In fact is is merely the recall of something formally known. Some researchers believe that we remember our birth. As a matter of fact, Carl Sagan, PhD, believed that "going into the light" upon death is the memory of one's birth with the tunnel being associated with the birth channel and the light being associated with our first sight of the world that we are being born into. So recalling babyhood is not out of the realm of possibility.

Another possibility is that you had a "false memory" also known as a "pseudomemory". Again this is a term used in both psychology and parapsychology and describes a person recalling an event or situation that simple did not occur. Due to the fact that they seem so real and lucid it is hard to tell these "memories" apart from the real deal.

So this is what I think causes your believe that the event that you described actually occurred. This is where the aforementioned key words, "I awoke" are important. In my opinion you had had a dream at an age where you were far enough along your cognitive development that you could create an account of being a baby by using the skills that you acquired as mentioned above. Regardless of what one says, nearly every normal human being dreams, however most are forgotten - consciously! If that dream lingers in the subconscious one might consider the events of that dream to being real and having actually taken place in real life. So in reality, you are not remembering the event of a baby but rather the dream of the event of a baby. A false memory, maybe, but I am more likely to put my money on cryptomnesia. a hidden memory that you believe as real, because it is based on something that did actually occur, a lucid dream from long ago.

I hope that you were not looking for a paranormal explanation of the dream as I believe that none exist. Perhaps that is why you wrote to an person with an expertise in parapsychology as well as the paranormal, because I believe that is where the answer is to be, and has been found. Should you have any more questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me - I'm here to help.

Best regards,
Greg Pocha,
Director of Parapsychology and Paranormal Studies,
Eidolon Project Canada, Alberta, Canada
Edmonton Paranormal, Red Deer Paranormal, Calgary Paranormal

Paranormal Phenomena

Greg Pocha