Parenting K-6 Kids/aggression in a 6 year old

Diggity wrote at 2012-11-04 20:48:00
I'm afraid Debbie's response is ludicrous.  Essentially she is saying:  "In order to stop your child from physically displaying aggression toward others, you need to show physical aggression toward him."  Spanking is physical aggression, however you want to wrap it up in nice sounding words and just like teaching your child any other behaviour, it has been shown time and time again to lead to children trying to using physical aggression to solve their own problems.

If your child is aggressive, you will simply need to help develop his ability to self-regulate.  You will need to be watchful and look for the early warning signs that he is becoming irritable.  At that point, you can intervene and connect emotionally with him to let him know you can see that he is feeling frustrated, scared, hurt, or whatever.  Let him show you how he is feeling without any judgement.  Then when he is feeling like you have connected with him, you can begin to introduce the teaching.  For example, I can see/hear/ I heard you're feeling a bit annoyed with your sister.  What are some ways you could handle this?  Then talk through, without criticism, simply reinforcing the pro-social suggestions.  

Aggression is not only inherited, it's primarily learned.  If parents display aggressive behaviours and fail to regulate their own anger, of course a child will not be able to learn to regulate his own anger.

Good luck!

Parenting K-6 Kids

Debbie Preece