Parenting K-6 Kids/daughter irritated almost all the time

Question
Dear Dr Swaby
This is regarding my 5 1/2 yr old daughter. She goes to school and is in first grade. Its been a few months that she has become very undisciplined. She gets angry very easily and in a matter of minutes she'd be screaming n howling and hitting. She gets angry at almost everything. If someone comes over she wouldnt share and would want everything for her. I canít talk to any child nicely because she thinks that I dont love her and the other child, and those would start another tantrum. She is in-tolerant of everything like we had some renovation goin on in our house for some time now and we are getting paint done of the area outside the flat as well, so she had a problem with that also. She says that why are we getting the walls of other people painted as well. I tried to explain to her that it is ours also so we are getting it done but she wouldnt listen. And there are many more such examples. She has also lost her appetite also and is irritable all the time. We tried to do the 1-2-3 counting system with her, but she wouldnt take the timeout after 3 counts and even if she did wouldnt come out of it. She doesnt even want to do anything, just wastes time sitting or not doing anything constructive. Every time I or my husband ask her to do something she has this habit of either not listening or not complying to it. She keeps fighting with her friends as well. I'm really worried about her. Kindly suggest what I can do to get back my daughter.

Answer
Hello Parul,

Thank you for writing.  I have a few questions before I can offer a few suggestions. What has changed in the pass few months? Is she an only child? What have you tried other  than the the 1-2-3 and time out?  How is her behavior in school?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Blessings
Dr. Swaby  

Parenting K-6 Kids

Dr. Mabel J. Swaby