Parenting K-6 Kids/interview for my child development class

What are your feelings on child guidance and discipline?

How do you try to discipline your children (Give some examples: What would you do if your child did not come when called? What would you do if your child hit another child? What would you do if your child stole something?)?

What do you do when your REALLY frustrated with your child?

Hi Nicole,

It's very difficult to give a short answer to your questions, and there is no one single remedy for the best discipline for your child.

You need to have boundaries and you need to be consistent with the consequences you put in place for your child overstepping those boundaries. It's not my place to tell you what those boundaries might be, or what the consequences should be. What is important is that you communicate very clearly to your child what your expectations are - build a good, solid, open communication and make sure you don't change the rules when it suits you.....and make sure the consequences are fair and consistent.

Reward good behaviour with praise, not presents or money. You may want to think about a system of earning points or stamps/stickers for your child. Aiming towards a set total, or goal, reinforces good behaviour and can earn your child a special treat or activity once the target is reached.

Hope this helps!  

Parenting K-6 Kids

Angie Wilcock

I have been a classroom primary (elementary) teacher for more than 20 years, mostly with senior students. I now run my own business, High Hopes Educational Services, working with parents and their children (and sometimes teachers) on a range of issues such as transition from primary to high school; organisational skills; time management; understanding learning styles to assist with effective study and work routines at home; prioritising tasks; developing a balance between work and play; how to 'get started' on writing that essay or assignment!

20 years of classroom teaching experience; in 2006, based on an enormous amount of research and practical experience (some of it with my own teenage boys!), I set about developing a series of programs of information and support for parents who want to both assist and monitor their child's progress. I prefer to regard these programs as tools of empowerment for parents and their children - skills for school AND life!

TED; LinkedIn; Community Builders NSW; Our Community; YouthGas

My biography (under maiden name of 'Cook') appears in 'Who's Who of Australian Women' (1982), 'The World Who's Who of Women' (1986) and 'Debrett's Handbook of Australia' (Bicentennial Edition 1988). My article "Coping With High School - a Transition for Students and Parents" was published in the Primary and Middle Years Educator Journal (Australian Curriculum Studies Association), August 2007 and P&C Journal, Term 3 issue, 2007

Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Sydney (English and Education majors); Diploma in Education (Sydney Teacher's College)

University of Sydney 'Blue'(for track and field); a variety of sporting awards (both State and National)