Parenting K-6 Kids/reading comprehension & melt downs 6th grade

My daughter is 11 and in 6th grade.  School has become a struggle and homework often ends in everyone involved being emotionally drained.  I'm pretty sure reading comprehension is the center of why her grades are low.   This site description sounds very much like her - .   The problem is she has no desire to improve, so if we try to do any thing suggested she shuts down.  Going over homework takes hours because of the fit and fight she puts up. She does not like to take her time, if a worksheet or test is taking longer than a few minutes she just guesses....I know it is possible for her to slow down and focus because she getd grounded when hergrades are to low, and at this point she will pull As on hw and testd...but only enough to bump her grade then its back to mediocore or failing grades...then grounded...and the whole year is this up and down cycle.  I know a lot of the issue is a lack of effort, but I think if its a struggle maybe she has just given up.  Its only going to get harder in middle school and ul, and I just don't know what to do.  I'm so drained from the constant battling that I'm ready to give up, I just can't do hours of screaming, crying and guilt everyday.  It makes me feel on edge all day, even when I'm not around her, and its gotten whereI need a break but there is no one else.  Some days she doesnt even have homework but I'm so emotionally dead from the 6 hour battle over homework the day before that I don't even want to be around her.  This needs to stop, but I feel like my only option Is to accept her coasting through school and not underdtanding half of it.

Hi Chris,
My suggestion is to have a meeting with the teacher and maybe even have a full student study team meeting (usually includes other staff who can all brainstorm ideas). It's difficult to know what the issue is without teacher input. Further, helping children with homework is a challenge. I'm a social worker and feel like I know a lot, but I've never been able to help with homework as well as my husband, who incidentally is a teacher. There is something taught in teacher school that makes it easier for kids to understand school work than when parents do it.

The teacher will be able to better pinpoint if it's a learning issue or laziness. It might be worth having her tested. Many kids are very bright, but struggle with traditional learning forms. Through testing, her learning methods can be better understood and new strategies can be implemented.

Finally, you might want to hire a tutor/homework helper to help her with homework instead of you, which can reduce the conflict.

Leslie Truex, MSW  

Parenting K-6 Kids

Leslie Truex

I am a parent of two, but also I'm a social worker with over 15 year experience working with children and families. I can provide many tips and techniques to help with child behavior, interventions for specific behavioral issues, ideas to help children through difficult times such as divorce or grief, hints on keeping the family running smoothly, and tips for developing confident, happy children.

I have a master's in social work and over 15 years experience working with children and families. I have worked in schools, public health, mental health and adoption agencies providing parent education courses and children's groups.

BA in Psychology and MSW.