Parenting K-6 Kids/Fun and Learning

Hello Angie!
     As an expert I would like to know from you how important is adding an element of fun into learning. We all know kids get bored of textbooks after a while. So how important is learning through fun these days? I feel parents are not doing it enough, so studies and homework are becoming an everyday chore rather than a joy. Please comment.

Hi Sowmya,

You are absolutely right - I think it is so sad that our children wake up each school morning not as excited as they should be about learning something new that day. Unfortunately kids don't really see school (or learning) as fun!

Much of the problem is that the curriculum is overloaded and teachers have to skip through material so quickly - taking the fun out of learning. Another factor is our emphasis on learning as a means to score high marks in a test, changing the philosophy of learning from what it should be as stimulating and interesting to being a competition and source of stress.

Parents can help at home by not adding to the pressure, and by trying to encourage a balance between work and play. There's not too much fun attached to homework, so parents have to manage the best way they can! As long as they can relieve the pressure and not add to it, that is always a big help. It's nice for kids to know that mum and dad are part of their team, and not the opposition!

Parenting K-6 Kids

Angie Wilcock

I have been a classroom primary (elementary) teacher for more than 20 years, mostly with senior students. I now run my own business, High Hopes Educational Services, working with parents and their children (and sometimes teachers) on a range of issues such as transition from primary to high school; organisational skills; time management; understanding learning styles to assist with effective study and work routines at home; prioritising tasks; developing a balance between work and play; how to 'get started' on writing that essay or assignment!

20 years of classroom teaching experience; in 2006, based on an enormous amount of research and practical experience (some of it with my own teenage boys!), I set about developing a series of programs of information and support for parents who want to both assist and monitor their child's progress. I prefer to regard these programs as tools of empowerment for parents and their children - skills for school AND life!

TED; LinkedIn; Community Builders NSW; Our Community; YouthGas

My biography (under maiden name of 'Cook') appears in 'Who's Who of Australian Women' (1982), 'The World Who's Who of Women' (1986) and 'Debrett's Handbook of Australia' (Bicentennial Edition 1988). My article "Coping With High School - a Transition for Students and Parents" was published in the Primary and Middle Years Educator Journal (Australian Curriculum Studies Association), August 2007 and P&C Journal, Term 3 issue, 2007

Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Sydney (English and Education majors); Diploma in Education (Sydney Teacher's College)

University of Sydney 'Blue'(for track and field); a variety of sporting awards (both State and National)