Parenting K-6 Kids/Can you teach a three?

QUESTION: Can you teach a three year old child learn to reed/write English?

ANSWER:   Yes, you can teach a three-year old to read, you can start by reading to the child asking questions regularly as you read the story. Showing the child that we read from left to right using your finger to point under each word.
Children learn best through play, listening to phonic songs,singing phonic songs,and playing with phonic games. Choose a phonics and phonemic awareness programs for your three-year old.
To teach a three year old to write you must make it fun. Write the child's name on a large sheet of paper with a marker, let the child trace their name using a highlighter.
In order to work on fine motor skills and Pre=writing skills you can have your child cut out pictures with child sized scissors. You may also can have your child make letters using play Doh. You may also go to a school supply store, where they would be happy to show you more materials to help you help your 3 year-old to began to read and write.

I hope this information was helpful
Dr. Swaby

QUESTION: What you need to if the same child needs to learn hot to read English and Spanish?

Yes, the only difference would be the language.
Children  learn  basically  the same, however,  the developmental stages may differ. Once you begin working with the child you  will know if what your doing needs to be adjusted to meet the needs of the child.  

I hope this helps,

Parenting K-6 Kids

Dr. Mabel J. Swaby

I can answer questions about Pre-K 5th grade. How to listen and talk to your child.Discipline that makes sense and much, how to understand your childs behavior and more. I am able to answer questions about teens,as well I have worked sucessfully with teens in foster care and a teen center, I have a great understanding of teens behavior.

I am retired teacher.(2005)and administrator. I am a Court Appointed Special Advocate(CASA) with the Juvenile Court for the past 6 years. Working with children and teens in foster care. I am a S.T.E.P.( Systematic Training For Effective Parenting) Parent Educator, and I am preparing to conduct workshops in my community.

Masters in Early Childhood Education/Certification in instructional Leadership Court Appointed Special Advocate(CASA) (Volunteer) S.T.E.P Parent Educator/Leader-(Systematic Training for Effective Parenting) Parent-Aide Oasis Counseling Center

Teacher of the Year Judical Commendation Award from the Juvenile Court