Parenting Stepchildren/my daughter and step daughter

I have this beautiful 6 year old step daughter and 1 year old daughter
I have been in my step daughters life since she was 3,she can be the sweetest somedays and then does a total 3 60 other days(like most children do). And my daughter is starting to pick up on her older sisters bad habbits. My deciplin is much different then her mother and father and I feel like I don't have a say in how she is raised and when I do put my input in I always feel like people think I am attaching her(my stepdaughter). I don't want the girls to grow up being parented diffrently I want them to feel equal when they are bothwith us how do I approach this subject with my husband or even go about disaplining the girls the same in the future. Thank you

Hi Maeghann,

This is an excellent question! Many stepparents struggle with this issue. Let me first say that it is in fact, true that you do not have the final say in how your stepdaughter is disciplined. As hard as it may be to accept, you are not the parent of your stepdaughter, and her parents do have the final say so with rules.

You only have control over how your home is run, and no control over the biological mother's home. That does not mean you cannot have some things change to the way you would like them to be at your house. However, it is best that you and your spouse are on the same page when it comes to discipline. You could try to talk with your spouse from the perspective of wanting both children in the same household to be treated fairly and treated the same. Try to refrain from pointing out what you do not like and want to change, and try to talk with your spouse from the perspective of "I really would like to...... (fill in the blank)."

Remember to think about your approach before talking with your spouse. Use your communication skills, right place, right time, right tone and volume.

I hope this helps, all the best to you!  

Parenting Stepchildren

KaRae' Carey, PhD

I can answer questions that pertain to challenges stepparents face, as well as challenges with adjustment and integration of the stepfamily. I can answer questions about psychological, emotional, and social changes that affect adults and children in stepfamilies. I can answer questions that have to do with the emotional and psychological impact of stepfamilies pertaining to child support, visitation, or divorce.

I am a stepmother to one boy and one girl. I have been in their lives since they were about 8 years old. I have first-hand "real life" experience with 'baby mama drama' and strains in marriage due to the complications and challenge that being a new stepmother presented. Bio: Inspired and motivated by her experiences as both a stepdaughter and stepmother of two children, Dr. Carey founded the Triangle Stepfamily Institute and is committed to empowering stepfamilies. She has first-hand experience both personally and professionally, with the difficulties people may experience when adjusting to stepfamily life. Dr. Carey believes that with the right support, and armed with knowledge, living harmoniously within a stepfamily is possible. She has dedicated countless hours to understanding the delicate functioning of the stepfamily and has produced several articles related to stepfamily relationships and functioning. Dr. Carey has studied with research pioneers and clinical leaders in the field of stepfamily life. She has also conducted independent research about stepfamilies with a focus on the concerns of the stepmother. She has also earned certification as a stepfamily counselor. Dr. Carey has also earned seven specialty certifications. Dr. Carey’s specialty certifications include being a nationally certified professional counselor, an accredited clinical supervisor, a credentialed distance counselor, board certified health services professional, school guidance counselor, Child and Adolescent Mental Health, and a certified stepfamily counselor. For more information on services, or to request Dr. Carey for counseling, interviews, or speaking opportunities, please contact her through her web site, or by calling 919-454-7857.

National Association of Professional Women American Counseling Association Licensed Professional Counselors Association of North Carolina

Publications, expert author

Oakland University, Rochester, MI Ph.D. in Counselor Education 2009 Dissertation: “The Experience of the African American Stepmother: An Exploratory Investigation ” Honors: Dissertation nominated for 2010 Outstanding Humanistic Dissertation Award Cognate Concentrations: Child and Adolescent Mental Health & School Guidance Counseling Major Advisor: Robert Fink, PhD Madonna University, Livonia, MI M.S. in Clinical Psychology 2002 Madonna University, Livonia, MI B.S. Psychology 2000 Cartified Stepfamily Counselor, Stepfamily Foundation, 2011 • Licensed Professional Counselor, State of North Carolina, (6893) • National Certified Counselor, NBCC, (234907) • Credentialed Distance Counselor, CCE, (966) • Approved Clinical Supervisor, CCE, (ACS01058) • Board Certified Health Services Professional, CCE, (1472) • Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist- Provisional- State of North Carolina • Licensed Bachelor of Social Work, State of Michigan, (6802084095) • Limited Licensed Psychologist, State of Michigan, (6301012018) • Social Worker Registration, State of Michigan, (6803075415) • School Counselor license (K-12), State of Michigan, (SC000554) • School Counselor license (K-12), State of North Carolina, (XXXXX2200)

•Kappa Gamma Pi, National Catholic College Honor Society, inducted 2000 •Chi Sigma Iota, Counseling Academic and Professional Honor Society International, inducted 2005 •Robert Brown Memorial Fund Scholarship, 2005

Step family members, children, adults, teens