Parenting Stepchildren/my boyfriends other child

I am the proud and happy parent of a 4 month old son. my boyfriend and i have been togeather for nearly 3 yrs now and have known each other for many. we have a good relationship and get along well except when it comes to his 5 yr old daughter. when my boyfriend and i first got togeather his daughter would come to visit maybe 1 weekend a month if that sometimes we would go long periods without seeing her at all. i left this up to him and his ex to decide. i was honest with him from the begining that i had never dated a man with children and i was ok with the visits but had no interest in raising another womans child. my boyfriend was very understanding abt this    when i was 8 months pregnantthe daughters mother decided she no longer wanted anything to do with her and my boyfriend and father to my child moved her into my house knowing im not ok with this. i cannot stand the child i despise and resent her for the space time moneyshe takes up and problems she causes daily. should i stay or leave.

Thank you for writing in with your question.

With regard to your question, should you stay or leave, is a very loaded question given the limited information that is detailed in your post about your situation. Your feelings of resentment for the money, space, and time your stepdaughter takes is not unusual for a stepmother to experience. If you are unwilling and unable  to consider changing your current stance, then your options for having a peaceful life and staying with your boyfriend are limited. If you decide to leave the relationship, you may continue to interact with your boyfriend's daughter, even if indirectly, as your son has your boyfriends' daughter as a sibling, and the two of them have their own unique relationship separate and apart from anyone else. He may be inclined to share information with you about their relationship in the future.

I wish you all the best in your family.  

Parenting Stepchildren

KaRae' Carey, PhD

I can answer questions that pertain to challenges stepparents face, as well as challenges with adjustment and integration of the stepfamily. I can answer questions about psychological, emotional, and social changes that affect adults and children in stepfamilies. I can answer questions that have to do with the emotional and psychological impact of stepfamilies pertaining to child support, visitation, or divorce.

I am a stepmother to one boy and one girl. I have been in their lives since they were about 8 years old. I have first-hand "real life" experience with 'baby mama drama' and strains in marriage due to the complications and challenge that being a new stepmother presented. Bio: Inspired and motivated by her experiences as both a stepdaughter and stepmother of two children, Dr. Carey founded the Triangle Stepfamily Institute and is committed to empowering stepfamilies. She has first-hand experience both personally and professionally, with the difficulties people may experience when adjusting to stepfamily life. Dr. Carey believes that with the right support, and armed with knowledge, living harmoniously within a stepfamily is possible. She has dedicated countless hours to understanding the delicate functioning of the stepfamily and has produced several articles related to stepfamily relationships and functioning. Dr. Carey has studied with research pioneers and clinical leaders in the field of stepfamily life. She has also conducted independent research about stepfamilies with a focus on the concerns of the stepmother. She has also earned certification as a stepfamily counselor. Dr. Carey has also earned seven specialty certifications. Dr. Carey’s specialty certifications include being a nationally certified professional counselor, an accredited clinical supervisor, a credentialed distance counselor, board certified health services professional, school guidance counselor, Child and Adolescent Mental Health, and a certified stepfamily counselor. For more information on services, or to request Dr. Carey for counseling, interviews, or speaking opportunities, please contact her through her web site, or by calling 919-454-7857.

National Association of Professional Women American Counseling Association Licensed Professional Counselors Association of North Carolina

Publications, expert author

Oakland University, Rochester, MI Ph.D. in Counselor Education 2009 Dissertation: “The Experience of the African American Stepmother: An Exploratory Investigation ” Honors: Dissertation nominated for 2010 Outstanding Humanistic Dissertation Award Cognate Concentrations: Child and Adolescent Mental Health & School Guidance Counseling Major Advisor: Robert Fink, PhD Madonna University, Livonia, MI M.S. in Clinical Psychology 2002 Madonna University, Livonia, MI B.S. Psychology 2000 Cartified Stepfamily Counselor, Stepfamily Foundation, 2011 • Licensed Professional Counselor, State of North Carolina, (6893) • National Certified Counselor, NBCC, (234907) • Credentialed Distance Counselor, CCE, (966) • Approved Clinical Supervisor, CCE, (ACS01058) • Board Certified Health Services Professional, CCE, (1472) • Licensed Clinical Addictions Specialist- Provisional- State of North Carolina • Licensed Bachelor of Social Work, State of Michigan, (6802084095) • Limited Licensed Psychologist, State of Michigan, (6301012018) • Social Worker Registration, State of Michigan, (6803075415) • School Counselor license (K-12), State of Michigan, (SC000554) • School Counselor license (K-12), State of North Carolina, (XXXXX2200)

•Kappa Gamma Pi, National Catholic College Honor Society, inducted 2000 •Chi Sigma Iota, Counseling Academic and Professional Honor Society International, inducted 2005 •Robert Brown Memorial Fund Scholarship, 2005

Step family members, children, adults, teens