Parenting Stepchildren/Stepson

Question
I am having a hard time understanding what my stepson (3) is needing emotionally and physically. We have been in each other's lives for a little over a year now. I stay at home and take care of him while his father goes to work Monday through Friday. During the day we play, laugh, dance, and have a great time. He is potty trained and listens very well most of the time. He asks for his father all day, which is great. I just let my stepson know that his dad will be home at dinner time and he understands.

His mother has certain times when she calls and my stepson usually looks forward to talking to her. There was a whole two weeks where she could not call because she got into some trouble. The third week when she called like she usually does my stepson did not want to talk to her. I have noticed that any day that she calls two things happen: that night he wets his bed and the following day his attitude is poor.

His mother will be coming to see him for an entire week for visitation, after two months of not seeing him, and his attitude has been worsening the closer it comes to her arriving. Yelling, trying to hit, cursing and not listening (all things that are out of the norm for him). His mother usually encourages him to curse and does not enforce rules. She encourages him not to listen and to say curse words. His father has talked with his mother on many occasions about everything but she refuses to listen. I feel like she only does what she wants to be happy without considering her son's feelings, needs and emotions.

How do I handle the situations at hand? How do I keep my stepson happy and help him remain his happy loving self? I only want what is best for him. Thank you for reading.

Answer
Dear Confused Stepmom,

Thank you for trusting me to answer your question. It sounds like a challenging situation indeed! With children your stepson's age, developmentally they do not have the capacity to 'talk out' feelings, and instead they tend to act out. His response of wetting the bed and increased aggression is typical for children who are adjusting to situations such as his. Remember, it is not your job, to always 'make' your stepson happy. It is quite unrealistic, for your stepson to be happy all of the time. He has emotions and allowing him to experience them is an important part of his development.

The best thing for him is to have a predictable schedule of time with his mother so that he can be made aware of what to expect and when. If such is not possible, I would suggest letting him know his mother is coming as soon as you can and informing him of days he will be with her and talk with her as you become aware of them.

Children pick up on the emotions that the adults around them have. Therefore, if you and your spouse are having emotional responses to your stepson's mother's unpredictability, then he will inevitably also. Should his mother continue to be unpredictable. You and your spouse can save yourselves a lot of stress by understanding she is unpredictable and accepting it, if she will not change to a more predictable schedule in her son's best interests.

Should the challenging behaviors continue, I would advise seeking a qualified stepfamily counselor to assist you and your family.  

Parenting Stepchildren

KaRae' Carey, PhD