Parenting Stepchildren/My caretaker doesn't show affection or love

Question
I am a 15 year old guy. I have lived without any parent figure for a long time now. I now live with my first cousin. She has kids of her own, 2 around my age & one 5 year old. I see her show them affection at times. She will hug and kiss them before school, and such. She never shows me any kind of love or affection. She never even talks to me. I try to sit next to her on the couch or at the table, but she just ignores me. If I don't say a word she won't. She always talks to everyone else; its hard to get her to stop talking sometimes. But never to me; and half the time when i talk she doesnt even respond. And she scolds me for minor mistakes but lets her kids act however they want. I just want her to sit with me and talk sometimes. She never spends any time with me or shows any attention at all. I need some affection too; just a big hug sometimes. Physical affection helps me so much since i never had it from my parents; it always makes me so happy.  I guess im seeking that kind of love from her that my real mom never gave me. I don't know how to tell her all this. Ive triee but she didnt get the message i wanted; she kinda made me feel stupid. How can i tell her i feel this way; how would i even bring up the subject? I want a close relationship with her, but she keeps pushing me away. I need to tell her that i feel starved of love and affection, but its difficult for me to express my deep feelings. What can i do or say to express these emotions to het?

Answer
Hello,

It can be difficult to adjust to the experiences that you are having. I advise that you convey your feelings to your caretaker while understanding that the affection she shows to her children may not readily translate and mirror the affections she is showing you. Perhaps you can find a good time to talk with her and express your feelings. Be sure to use your "I" messages when speaking as to not to ascribe blame to your caretaker. Be patient. It sounds as if the living arrangement is an adjustment for everyone. Also please note, that you can express yourself to her without having to wait for her to always do the overt expressions as well.  

Parenting Stepchildren

KaRae' Carey, PhD