Parenting Stepchildren/What does this tell you abut an adult man?

What does this tell you abut an adult man? He lives with a 10-year-old girl and her mother? He says that he is going to marry her when she turns 18, but says that he will not have sex with her before she turns 18. The ten year old says that she like that, and promises that she will get pregnant with his child when she turns 18. The mother does not care because he is a very good father figure to her daughter and trust him 100 percent.

What this tells me is that family is very dysfunctional, and that both adults and probably the biological father are "Grown Wounded Children" (GWCs): It also tells me the daughter is apt to inherit significant psychological wounds: - Pete

Parenting Stepchildren

Peter Gerlach, MSW

I can answer questions about remarriage preparation, stepparenting, stepchild discipline, child visitation, grieving, stepfamily norms and myths, mission statements, stepparent job (role)descriptions, communication skills, loyalty and values conflicts, stepfamily identity problems, common pitfalls, ex mate and relative problems, stepfamily merger and adjustment tasks, name confusions, choosing an effective counselor, resolving money disputes, co-parenting support groups, and the family effects of court (legal) battles. I can`t answer questions about medicine, family law, legal stepchild adoption, or financial planning.

I have studied and worked with stepfamilies clinically since 1979, and I have been a "step everything" personally. I was invited to be on the board of the Stepfamily Association of America (SAA) by it's founders, Drs. John and Emily Visher; and later was re-invited by president Margory Engle, PhD. For more detail, see this.

Former Board member, Stepfamily Association of America (SAA)
National Stepfamily Resource Center (NSRC)Experts Council

Hundreds of Web articles on ; I've uploaded over 150 self-improvement videos on YouTube; and have self-published 6 books. My ad-free Web site offers a unique, practical 7-lesson self-improvement course.

Stanford University BSME (1958) George Williams College MSW (1981) Hundreds of post-graduate seminars on a wide variety of "mental health" subjects

Hundreds of appreciative emails and comments on my Web site and videos from people all over the world.

I have worked clinically with over 1,000 midwestern divorced and remarried family members, and have had over 800 stepfamily students in various seminars and courses since 1981