Parenting Stepchildren/Stepfamily issues

Question
I have been married to my husband for a few months now (we've been together for almost a year). I have 3 and 6-year-old daughters from a former relationship, and he has 13 and 14-year-old sons and an 11-year old daughter. My daughters and I get along with my husband and his sons. However, his daughter despises us. She is disrespectful to me and she is mean to my daughters. She curses and talks back to me, and says things like, "I hope my dad divorces you". I've tried to bond with her, but it's pointless. She never wants to join us in family activities, like dinner or movies (she says she doesn't want to be around me or my daughters). My husband has also tried talking with her, but it's not working. I try to understand why she acts like this. Her mom moved across the country and refuses to see her. But I just want the disrespect to stop. My husband and I are expecting our first baby later this year. She isn't happy about my pregnancy, ("because now my dad won't leave you"). We've tried family therapy, but it's not helping. I just want our new family to be happy. What should I do?

Answer
Hello,

Thank you for the inquiry. It may be helpful to have a frank discussion without the children present about your concerns about therapy and the family moving forward. Perhaps, your step daughter may benefit from having her own therapist to assist her solely with her adjustment. Please note that it takes approximately 7 years for stepfamilies to adjust. So a few months is not a long time for adjustment for everyone.

It would also help if you and your spouse are on the same page with regard to expectations of behaviors (respect included) for all of the children. Being united (you and your spouse) will take you far in the adjustment phases for a stepfamily. The Stepfamily Foundation out of NY has lots of resources that may be helpful.

~Dr. Carey

Parenting Stepchildren

KaRae' Carey, PhD