Parenting --Teens/My son is hiding things from me

Question
I just found out that my 16 year old son has a 2 year old son and he also just got a girl pregnant four months ago. I don't understand how that could have even happened. I try my best to make sure he stays safe. I have even given him condoms and I always tell him that he could talk to me about anything he needs to talk about. The most confusing part for me if that he says he's gay. Why would he have sex with girls if he's gay?
I had him when I was 16 as well. Is that why he is doing this?
This is all just really confusing for me.

Answer
Hello Mandi,
Of course, I can't tell you why he is having sex and fathering children. But I doubt that it is just because you had a child when you were 16.
If he has told you that he thinks he is gay, it is certain that he is willing to talk to you about some aspects of his life. And you have apparently tried to teach him to be responsible sexually.
However, if he truly thinks he is gay but he is having sexual intercourse with girls, then it could be that he is confused about his identity and his sexuality. That would, however, not be unusual for a middle teenager. Yet, the fact that he is fathering children with different girls and at the same time tells his mother he is gay suggests that he may need professional help to better understand his own thinking and behavior. It might even be a good idea for the two of you (assuming that his father or a stepfather is not involved in his life) to go to a family therapist together.
Best,
 James Windell

Parenting --Teens

James Windell