Parenting --Teens/My teenage son doesn't want to spend time with me

Question
I left my wife about 3 months ago and all is not well. I was in the process of filing for divorce but she beat me to it.

I had not seen my son for 24 days but after going to court, as a result of a protection order, the court set visitation from Noon on Saturday to 6:00 pm.  

I picked him up today as scheduled.  I asked him why he hasn't called me in the past 3 weeks, I bought him a phone for that very reason, and he said the phone was dead.  I know he could have used his mother's phone but didn't.  We went bowling and afterwards I wanted to go to my mother's,(my wife has not spoken to my mother in over a year, which is a different issue),to pick up some papers for him to give his mother.  He said he was tired and wanted to go home.  It was 2:00 o'clock.  I was so hurt I took him home and began crying and then got angry, now I'm so depressed I don't know what to do.  I just want to give up and let him call me when he wants to see me but my mother disagrees. When I was at home we were very close.  He always came to me for almost everything.

For many years now my wife and I have been involved in domestic violence, constant arguing/fighting - my wife has hit me on several occasions.  She is a very angry person but so am i when she gets in my face and won't shut-up.  There is so much more which I'm sure you are aware.  

However, I do need some help.  PLEASE ADVISE

Thank you

Answer
Hello Frank,
Children usually get caught in the crossfire in situations like this. I don't know what he has been exposed to in terms of the arguing and fighting between you and his mother, but he obviously knows about it and has perhaps heard versions from both of you. It is almost inevitable that a teenager will take sides as they try to figure out if they should side with their mother or father.
Your son may have heard things from his mother which paint you in a negative light. Or he may have heard or seen you do something to his mother which he has trouble accepting -- or forgiving.
Yes, I understand you may be hurt because he only wanted to spend a short time with you, but he is suffering, too. He's trying to make sense of what's going on in his life and in his family. He may be angry at you; he may be angry at both you and his mother. But not seeing him is not going to make things better. I would suggest that you keep your regular parenting time schedule. And even if he doesn't want to spend six hours with you, make sure you spend some time with him. See what he wants to do and do things together that are interesting to him.
You can let him know that you suspect he is very angry with you and he may blame you for the problems in the family. Let him know that that's okay. Also, let him know that any time he wants to talk about things he can always talk to you. Assure him that you will listen. And you'll try to answer any questions he has as honestly as possible.
If he does ask questions, be honest. But don't give him too much information. And don't say negative things about his mother. Always keep in mind that anything you say to him about the domestic situation has to be something that will help him cope and make sense of things. Being angry or negative toward his mother will not be helpful to him.
Any questions?
James Windell

Parenting --Teens

James Windell