Parenting --Teens/son is 17 will not obey rules stays out late and sells his stuff for money instead of working part-time

Question
My son is 17 and can"t live without a girl in his life, sometimes I think he is a stalker. he sells things we bought for him that cost twice as much as for just gas money. he doesn't do drugs. he want work part time at our restaurant he wants hands out. he hangs around people who are much older who are trouble. he want listen and yells at us and tells us to shut the hell up. he wrecked his dads corvet going a 140 miles a hr lost his liscense for 30 days been to court 2 or 3 times for tickets and tells us he don't care . we are ready to throw him out please help us. we took him to counseling every week for the last two months he wouldn't go tonight and I am at my wits end.

Answer
Hello Gerri,
I'm sorry to hear that your son is out of control.
One option you have is to kick him out. But you can also try to gain some measure of control by simply cutting off all rewards, hand outs, privileges, and money. At the same time, you can tell him that there are new rules and give him two or three basic rules (treat others in the family with respect, come home by 11:00 pm, etc.). He has to follow these rules in order to get anything from you. He can have a bed to sleep in and he can eat with the family, but otherwise the only way he can get anything from you is by having followed the rules you set for him.
If this does not produce any positive results in 30 days, then you can consider kicking him out.
Any questions?
James Windell

Parenting --Teens

James Windell