Parenting --Teens/Question about behavior.

Hello, Dr. Keller.
My name is Louise. I have two kids, a 14 year old boy and a 11 year old girl. Since early age my daughter dislikes common bathing suits for girls. She says that with the two pieces ones, she felt "too unclothed". She only accept the one piece kind, but she likes to put on a t-shirt and shorts over it. In fact she likes to use, in the beach, shorts, like her older brother and a shirt.
She is not fat nor too skinny and don't have any eating disorder.
In fact, she attends a tumbling after school program, and she sighed when learned she would have to wear a leotard. She use it with shorts.
She didn't dislike her body and think she has a "good body, just don't like to be too uncovered". And she don't care the people say she isn't "girlie".
I would want to know if this is normal or not, and if it needs to be corrected.   

Thanks in advance,

Dear Louise,
Relax from what you discribed here your child just has her own preferences. Children are not different than we are in deciding what they like and don't like. Enjoy her as she is!
Best, Mary Kay

Parenting --Teens

Dr. Mary Kay Keller

Questions concerning Teens & the developmental stages that they are in. It doesn`t matter what the psychological or emotional behavior they are exhibiting. What matters is that you ask the questions & search out solutions!

ASK your Questions (24/7). Confidential services and books can be found on my website at: or book for digital download at TED Talk! The only TED talk on fathering to date!

I have worked with Teens in the school system through programs to provide life adjustment classes and with the Substance Abuse Prevention programs. ¿Quieres hacer preguntas en español? Haga clic aquí para pedir en español y traducir al Inglés.

National Council on Family Relations & Prevention Research

Journal of International Attachment Parenting Journal of Behavioral and Social Sciences

Education: PhD Human Sciences: Family and Child Studies Ask me about my research on Fathers and their Children!

International Who's Who of Professionals & Departmental Honors in Psychology

Grandparents raising grandchildren, Teen parents, parents who have separated/divorced, parents with children experiencing substance abuse issues, parents in need of parenting classes, parents who have experienced the death of a child/infant. Over 20 years of successful professional experience with children and families.