Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Could my 2 year old have OCD?

Tabitha wrote at 2009-05-03 13:29:54
  I understand the hesitancy to diagnose a young child with any type of mental illness, however I have a unique perspective concerning this paticular disorder.  I developed OCD as a child and was left undiagnosed and untreated until adulthood.  This disorder destroyed my childhood and tormented me to the point that I remember very little else about my early years other than the obssessions and the rituals.  

When my five year old daughter began to demonstrate signs of OCD I rapidly responded, by taking her to the psychiatrist and beginning medicine - she eventually also had counseling.

I believe it is very difficult for a child this age to participate in behavioral therapy.  They do not have the ability to reason in the same way as an older child or an adult.  It is urgent however that their symptoms are controled so that some sort of sanity can be restored to their exsistence.

I began noticing ocd symptoms in my second child at an even younger age and actually tried to wait before concluding that her behavior was not normal and also required medication and soon after therapy.

I have a three year old son who has begun expressiong a lot of anxiety and other charatersitics associated with ocd.  I'm aware that there is a good chance they he may also have ocd - I will not be overly sensitvie to his behavior, however, I will be quick to get him the help that he requires should this be the case.

I have over the years had people question my early intervention and eagerness to respond to my child's behaviors with the use of medications.  I believe that as a mother we are given the ability to discern what is normal and abnormal in our children.  We may not always be correct but that  should not keep us from seeking the answers that we require to help our children grow to be independent, self- sufficient members of society.  

There are many, many, negative consequenes that I have experineced due to my parent's lack of knowledge concernig mental illness.  I refuse to allow my own children to become victims to my ignorance or my resistance in this area.

lara wrote at 2012-12-03 11:15:14
If it isn't too late to say anything, those characteristics sound  similar to those of a child with autism.  

James Windell

I can answer questions related to normal child development, disturbed behavior and how to provide appropriate guidance and discipline.

I've been a clinical psychologist in a juvenile court, worked in school settings, been a child psychotherapist in a private psychiatric clinic and consulted with schools, courts, hospitals and daycare centers.

American Psychological Association
Michigan Psychological Association

I have been a columnist with the Oakland Press (Oakland County, MI) for 21 years writing a weekly column called Coping With Kids, which is also published weekly in the Staten Island Advance. I have been a mental health columnist with the Detroit Free Press and a columnist for Working Mother Magazine. In addition, I have published articles in professional journals. I have published 16 books, among them are "8 Weeks to a Well-Behaved Child" (IDG Books), "Discipline: A Sourcebook of 50 Failsafe Techniques for Parents" (IDG Books); "Children Who Say No When You Want Them to Say Yes" (IDG Books), "What You Need to Know About Ritalin" (Bantam Books) "6 Steps to an Emotionally Intelligent Teenagers" (John Wiley & Sons), "The Fatherstyle Advantage" (Stewart, Tabori & Chang) and "Defusing High Conflict Divorce" (Impact Publishers). My latest parenting book (2012) is "The Everything Child Psychology and Development Book." Articles about my work with parents has appeared in the New York Times, the Chicago Sun Times, the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. My website at includes more information about me, my books and includes many columns I've written.

B.A. in Psychology from Wayne State University
M.A. in Clinical Psychology from Oakland University

Best Educational Program by Juvenile and Family Court Judges Association (National award for the development of a parent training program for parents of delinquent teenagers. Beth Clark Service Award from the Michigan Psychological Association.