Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Discipiline my 2 and half yr old son

Hi,my son is normally a very sweet boy and loves cuddles from me and his dad.I'm 39 weeks pregnant and my son's behaviour has worsened.He has tantrums,hitting his dad,just being naughty!The quiet corner punishment doesn't work anymore and I don't know how I am going to cope with his behaviour,dad's frustration and a new baby! How can I discipline my son? Does he feel threatened with the new baby on the way? Please help?!

Hello Handri,
Even if you were not pregnant, your son may still be exhibiting the same behavior because his current behavior is very typical for a two-year-old toddler.
However, I'm sure it is perhaps a bit exaggerated by your pregnancy, although the reality of a baby taking up your time and attention won't hit him until after the baby arrives. So, you can expect that his behavior may continue to present frustrations for you and your husband.
I suggest that you use the quiet corner only sparingly. Punishment is unlikely to be highly effective with a toddler and their normal noncompliant behavior. Instead of using punishment to deal with his"naughty" behavior, use more praise and attention for his appropriate behavior; ignore as many of his tantrums #as well as his naughty behaviors# as you can, and make sure both of you, but especially his father, gives him one-on-one time as he learns to adjust to having a baby to compete with.
Otherwise, you just have to hang in there while he learns to control himself over the next one to two years. Of course, by then #I'm sorry to have to tell you this# you will have another child entering the same stage!
Feel free to email me as often as you need to for suggestions or advice.
James Windell

James Windell

I can answer questions related to normal child development, disturbed behavior and how to provide appropriate guidance and discipline.

I've been a clinical psychologist in a juvenile court, worked in school settings, been a child psychotherapist in a private psychiatric clinic and consulted with schools, courts, hospitals and daycare centers.

American Psychological Association
Michigan Psychological Association

I have been a columnist with the Oakland Press (Oakland County, MI) for 21 years writing a weekly column called Coping With Kids, which is also published weekly in the Staten Island Advance. I have been a mental health columnist with the Detroit Free Press and a columnist for Working Mother Magazine. In addition, I have published articles in professional journals. I have published 16 books, among them are "8 Weeks to a Well-Behaved Child" (IDG Books), "Discipline: A Sourcebook of 50 Failsafe Techniques for Parents" (IDG Books); "Children Who Say No When You Want Them to Say Yes" (IDG Books), "What You Need to Know About Ritalin" (Bantam Books) "6 Steps to an Emotionally Intelligent Teenagers" (John Wiley & Sons), "The Fatherstyle Advantage" (Stewart, Tabori & Chang) and "Defusing High Conflict Divorce" (Impact Publishers). My latest parenting book (2012) is "The Everything Child Psychology and Development Book." Articles about my work with parents has appeared in the New York Times, the Chicago Sun Times, the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. My website at includes more information about me, my books and includes many columns I've written.

B.A. in Psychology from Wayne State University
M.A. in Clinical Psychology from Oakland University

Best Educational Program by Juvenile and Family Court Judges Association (National award for the development of a parent training program for parents of delinquent teenagers. Beth Clark Service Award from the Michigan Psychological Association.