Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Counseling for a three year old

Question
I am a recently widowed Mom of two young children, ages 3 years and 11 months. My 3 year old has become extremely clingy and demanding since his Dad passed away. He will follow me all around the house and will even call out for me if I am in the next room. Is this his way of showing grief and does his behavior warrant a visit to a counselor? I'm worried that because I am still mourning the loss of my husband, I am failing my son.
I am at a loss.

Thank you
Leigh.

Answer
Hello Leigh,
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.
It's a double burden for you. Not only do you have to deal with your grief, but you have to still be a mommy to two children while helping them handle their grief.
Typically, one way young children deal with grief and stress is by regressing. Your toddler has become more clingy and less willing to tolerate separation. It will take your child nearly as long to recover from the loss of his father as it will take you. This could be a couple of years. But it does not necessarily mean either one of you should see a therapist. Actually, I believe counseling would perhaps be much more beneficial for you than for your toddler.
More importantly, you have to give yourself and your son time to heal and recover. That might mean that you have to allow him to be close to you and be fearful of losing you too. Eventually, both of you will get through this.
The other part of this is continuing to be a loving, supportive, and protective mom during the grieving process. Of course, you will not be at your best as a mother for a while, but that doesn't mean that you can't be emotionally supportive and accepting of your son's needs during this process.
If you have any questions, please get back to me.
Best,
James Windell  

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell