Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/14 month old wakes up screaming

Question
Hi James,

I am the father of a 14 month old son (will be 15 months at the end of December).  Very recently he has begun waking up screaming (I'm talking not a high pitches scream but a from the bottom of his feet deep scream).  When my wife and I got to him he is inconsolable.  We try walking with him, talking to him, putting him on the ground and stroking his head and face, nothing works.  He finally manages to calm himself down and turns into the normal kid we are used to.  I should mention that these "episodes" have only happened 3 times, at vary hours (1 during a nap, 1 in the middle of the night and the earlier evening after only being down for about 2 hrs.  

I have done a little sleuthing into night terrors and have been led to beleive that he is to young to be having them, is this true?  Can you provide any insight into what you think the cause of this may be?  I have wondered about possibly teething (he is only missing about 4 teeth to complete the set.  I have also considered if he is just pissed off about us not responding to him fast enough (we do let him cry a little before going to him).

Any insight you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
Hello Ryan,
It is very common for children between the ages of 12 months and 48 months to wake up at night. Some children can go back to sleep on their own; others can't. There is no one reason why children awaken. And trying to find out the reason will likely be an exercise in futility.
If it is night terrors, then your child won't really be awake. And if he is not awake, you should not awaken him.
You can provide some minimal comforting, but I caution against talking to him, getting him up, feeding him, or anything else that is likely to reinforce his awakenings. The key is to help him learn to go back to sleep on his own.  
The only way to prevent night terrors is to not reinforce his awakenings. Letting him cry out on his own is recommended until it is clear that he is not going to fall back asleep by himself. Then, go to him and gently pat him or rub his back until he is calm and back to sleep.
Best,

James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell