Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Speech delay

Hi, my son is 31 months and he doesn't speak yet. He can just say baba and talks baby language. He doesn't follow the simple instructions and sometimes I will keep calling him and he wont even turn around. He likes to listen to kids songs and that is his favorite time in the nursery. When he wants something he ll hold my hand and takes me to it he wont even point at it.
He gets frustrated when he doesn't get what he wants, he wants to play outdoors all the time.
His Dr advised me to check his hearing. The first time I did it it showed that he had Auditorium Neuropathy but the source wasnt that professional as when I googled it, I was shocked that it is a very rare disease and needs several tests and observations to confirm it not just one test as it happened with my son.
Went to two more hospitals and the results came out normal.I tried seeing Speech therapy but they re not sure if that could help, and makes me confused even more.

He has an older sister who speaks well,and he plays with kids. But I get complains from the nursery that he keeps pushing and pulling hair of little girls.
Also the Dr,Speech Therapies told me that he didn't have any sign of Autism.
I'm so worried and confused. I don't know what else to do.Please help

Hello Sabra,
It is not unusual for children at 30 months of age to not have well developed speech and language. At this stage in his development, there is perhaps very little that a speech therapist can do that you can't do better.
That is, for children to develop speech and language, they must be exposed to speech and language. That means that you must be talking to him constantly and reading to him every day. To talk to him, you should literally narrate everything going on around him. For example, if you are preparing a meal, have him with you and tell him everything you are doing ("First, I'm going to prepare our favorite supper. Let's see if we have everything we need. Let's look for rice. Do we have rice? Do you see it on the shelf? Good. Help me get it. Now, do we have water? Where do we get the water? That's right. We get it from the faucet...")
No matter where you are and what you are doing, talk to him and describe what is going on and what you observe. In addition, read to him every day. But don't just read books; make the books a dramatic experience: "Today we are going to read this book. What is the name of this book? If we look on the cover, we will find the title. Follow my fingers as I show you the title. The title is..." Throughout the reading, make it interesting and involve him with questions. Use books with pictures so you can ask questions about each picture: "What is this? That's right. It's a horse. Let's say horse together. Horse. Let's say it again..."
Encourage him to talk as much as possible. That is, if he wants something, instead of just allowing him to point to it or take your hand and take you to it, ask him to put it into words: "Do you want a glass of water? Say, 'I would like a glass of water, please.' You try try it. I would like..."
 This is what you can do over the next couple of years. If this doesn't result in any improvement over several months, then you should consult an expert speech and language therapist.
Any questions?
James Windell  

James Windell

I can answer questions related to normal child development, disturbed behavior and how to provide appropriate guidance and discipline.

I've been a clinical psychologist in a juvenile court, worked in school settings, been a child psychotherapist in a private psychiatric clinic and consulted with schools, courts, hospitals and daycare centers.

American Psychological Association
Michigan Psychological Association

I have been a columnist with the Oakland Press (Oakland County, MI) for 21 years writing a weekly column called Coping With Kids, which is also published weekly in the Staten Island Advance. I have been a mental health columnist with the Detroit Free Press and a columnist for Working Mother Magazine. In addition, I have published articles in professional journals. I have published 16 books, among them are "8 Weeks to a Well-Behaved Child" (IDG Books), "Discipline: A Sourcebook of 50 Failsafe Techniques for Parents" (IDG Books); "Children Who Say No When You Want Them to Say Yes" (IDG Books), "What You Need to Know About Ritalin" (Bantam Books) "6 Steps to an Emotionally Intelligent Teenagers" (John Wiley & Sons), "The Fatherstyle Advantage" (Stewart, Tabori & Chang) and "Defusing High Conflict Divorce" (Impact Publishers). My latest parenting book (2012) is "The Everything Child Psychology and Development Book." Articles about my work with parents has appeared in the New York Times, the Chicago Sun Times, the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. My website at includes more information about me, my books and includes many columns I've written.

B.A. in Psychology from Wayne State University
M.A. in Clinical Psychology from Oakland University

Best Educational Program by Juvenile and Family Court Judges Association (National award for the development of a parent training program for parents of delinquent teenagers. Beth Clark Service Award from the Michigan Psychological Association.