Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/mi 15 month old is hitting and biting

Question
Hello I am a single mother and I have a 15 month old daughter named Jaelah. I currently live with my father and step mother. Jaelah is my only child and lately she has been hitting and biting me and my parents. I am new to this and I tell her no and make her sit for about a minute. But I dont think she quite understands yet that its not ok to hit or bite. She gets a smirk on her face and repeatedly does it through out the day. I think she learned it at the daycare I was taking her to. What can I do to teach her its not ok to bite and hit? Its hard to reason with a rambunctious 15 month old

Answer
Hello Amanda,
 I hate to tell you this, but at 15 months of age she is just starting her toddler stage. It's during the toddler period -- roughly 15 months to 3 years -- that children are trying out new behaviors, learning speech (and how to say No!), moving around better #and running away from you!#, and trying to master their impulses.
Your job as mother is to help her learn the rules (such as "No hitting or biting"). But, it's more than teaching her the rules. You will say a 100 (or a 1000 times) "No hitting" to her and while she will learn that you don't want her to hit, she won't have control over her impulses to be able to inhibit her actions when she gets the impulse to hit. That takes longer. In the meantime, you keep reminding her, giving her compliments when she does hold off on hitting, and occasionally giving her a short time-out for inappropriate behavior.
The good news is that by age three-and-a-half or four, she will look and act like a grown up young lady compared to now. It might even happen sooner if you're lucky. But it is very important that you remain calm and patient when she can't control herself. It takes a lot of effort on a parent's part to shepherd their children through the toddler years.
And remember that trying to reason or rationalize with her is fine, but, again, because she lacks controls over her behavior she won't be able to stop herself based on the rule or on what you want.
If you have other questions, please get back to me.
Best,
James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell