Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/infant routine

We have a 2 1/2 year old and a 2 month old.  I just started back to work this week and our mornings are crazy.  I have heard of other parents who have infants on schedules, but we have been told recently that 2 months is too young to schedule.  In fact over the holiday both my mom and Grandma reprimanded me for waking my son while he was sleeping.  Should we just let him do his thing right now and not worry about a schedule?  Napping and eating times don't concern me as much as a regular bedtime and wake time, which will make it easier for all of us to get to work/daycare on time with less stress.  Right now he is all over the board...for two nights he went to bed at the same time and slept for about 5 hours then had fitful sleeping the rest of the night.  Last night it was fitful all night with the longest stretch being 3 hours, and tonight he fell asleep an hour earlier than normal.
Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

One thing I've learned with having 5 kids, infants set the schedule. I'm not saying it's wrong to put them to bed at a set time, nor that it's wrong to wake them when it's time to get up and get ready to leave...I've done that more times than not, but putting him to bed the same time the older one goes will set a good schedule...he'll start to expect it, especially with a solid bedtime routine. Odds are, you'll be going through the waking during the night for a few more months before he starts sleeping through the night, though. My youngest is 10 months old and has only been sleeping through the night for about 2 months.

Melissa Payne

I can answer questions about children from newborn (including preemie) to school age. I can also try to provide emotional support for people who have had a stillborn child. I am a part-time working, stay-at=home, online college attending Mom who has a very hectic schedule and love it. I also have my own blog -, which includes a very affordable email recipe subscription, shirts supporting my site (all proceeds from shirt sales go into my children's savings accounts, so please be generous) and - coming soon - some of my hand crocheted items (pillows and stuffed animals).

I have 7 children - 2 daughters born November 2004, November 2005, a son born September 2008, a son born in September 2010, a son born February 2013, a son born October 2014 and a son born February 2016. My daughter born in 2005 was a preemie (3 months early) and I also had a daughter stillborn in 2006 and a miscarriage of a daughter in 2009.

I am a lifetime member of Business Professionals of America.

I have a diploma in Child Day Care and an Associate Degree in Teacher Aide. I have worked in the Day Care field, as well as having my own children.