Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/18 month old nephew eating hair

Question
My nephew, who is 18  months old is eating hair from where ever he can find it. His sister's hairbrush, the broom, the floor- he can spot it from a mile away! When I rock him to sleep, he plays with my hair, and does the same to his sister. I know the hair can't be digested, and I take it away from him every time I catch him. Why does he do this? Should I seek professional help?

Answer
Hello Meghan,
This is a new one. I have not heard of a toddler who has the habit of eating hair.
However, I will assume that it is a habit or a temporary obsession much like others that toddlers develop.
In most cases, if you don't spend a lot time talking about the habit or trying to change it, the habit will go away on its own -- often in three to six months.
The only reason I can think of to involve a professional is to perhaps consult with a pediatrician to rule out that eating hair is a way to replenish some kind of nutrient. I can't imagine that that might be the case, but I suppose it's possible.
If this habit doesn't go away on it's own in a few months, get back in touch with me.
Best,
James Windell  

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell