Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/baby eating/sleep issues

Question
My son is 4 months old (17 weeks). He is 23 inches 13 pounds 3 oz as of two days ago. I feel like my son eating and sleeping schedule aren't right for a baby his age and size.

He eats 3 ounces every 2 hours from 7am until 7pm.  At 9:30 - 10pm I give him his last bottle before he goes to sleep. He wakes up at least 3 times from 10pm to 7am to eat. He eats about 3 ounces each time.

I have tried to get him to eat at least 4 ounces at each feeding, but he refuses to eat more then 3 ounces at a time.  My doctor wants me to hold off on solid foods until he is eating at least 6 ounces at each feeding.

Another issue I having is his sleep schedule. Since he refuses to eat more then 3 ounces at a time, means he has to eat more often, and sleeping left. From 7am - 10pm His sleep schedule is not too bad. He has 7  - 1 hour naps. The real problem is at night time. My son will wake up for his feeding and will take up to an hour sometimes for him to go back to sleep, and he will wake up 1  - 1 1.5 hours later to eat again. He probably gets about 13 hours of sleep a day max. I don't feel this is normal.

Answer
Unfortunately, there is no "normal" when it comes to the sleeping habits of a baby. I have 5 children. The oldest slept 4 hours between each feeding. The second took 1-2 oz each feeding and slept for half an hour and woke for another. At 3 months, I started her with rice cereal in her bottles. She took 2 oz and slept for 3 hours for a month then started taking more per feeding. My 3rd was on rice cereal at 2 weeks and stage 1 baby food at a month. My 4th followed the first and my 5th is a couple weeks old and takes 2-3 oz per bottle and sleeps between 1-3 hours between feeds. I plan to start him with rice cereal in his bottles next week.  The doctors never agreed with what I thought best, so I did it anyway and told them after I knew what the results were.

Sorry I can't give a better answer, but to explain my experiences. I wish you the best.

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

Melissa Payne