Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/CHANGES IN MY ONE YEAR OLD

Question
I HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT IS ONE AND I'VE NOCITED SOME CHANGES IN HER BAHAVER LATELY THAT HAS ME VERY CONCERNED , LATELY SHES BEEN VERY FUSSY IF I PUT HER DOWN AND START TO WALK AWAY SHE GETS UP AND STARTS SCREAMING BUT NOT NORMAL SCARMING LIKE SHES SCARED TO DEATH WHICH NORMALLY SHE COULD WAS ALWAYS FIND PLAYING WITH HER SISTER OR BY HERSELF ALSO WHEN SHE GETS UPSET SHE WILL TAKE BOTH HANDS AND HIT HERSELF IN THE FACE SHE THROWS HER BODY AROUND AND IS STUCK TO ME LIKE GLUE , I DO WORK TEN HOUR DAYS MON-FRI SO I'M GONE ALOT I'M NOT SURE IF THIS IS HER WAY OF SAYING SHE MISSES ME OR IF SOMETHING COULD BE REALLY WRONG GOT ANY ADVICE ON WHAT IT MIGHT BE ? ANYTHING WILL HELP THANKYOU

Answer
Hello Courtney,
There are many changes that occur in young children and most often we have no idea what has brought about those changes. It could be something she has heard; something she imagined; feeling ill or out of sorts; a change or crisis in the family life; or just her growth and development. And with a one year old, there is almost no way you can really figure out what brought about the change.
However, one possibility is that children typically experience separation anxieties at various stages of development. This could be one of those stages even though they do not usually happen at 12 months of age. Most often separation anxiety is earlier and somewhat later, but every child develops at their own pace.
But, clearly she needs to be closer to you at this stage in her life. You can indulge that to some degree. Recognizing that you work long hours and are not with her enough (probably not enough to really suit either you or her), make sure that you pay special attention to her and maybe give her some extra mom-and-daughter-time every day. Be emotionally supportive to her needs at this time. When she is clingy or crying acknowledge verbally that you know she wants to be close to you. So, let her be clingy at this point and I think in a few weeks she will move on to another phase of development.  
Any questions?

James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell