Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Fear of poo-ing

Question
My 31 month old son has been doing really well with potty training, up and till 2 nights ago, when he suddenly developed a fear of having a poo. He cries and screams because his tummy and bottom are sore, but refuses to go to the loo or the potty to poo. I attempted to put a nappy on, but he refused to poo in the nappy as well. Its very traumatic for all of us. The staff at his day-care have not noticed any change in his behaviour regarding the potty training.
Any advise on how to convince him that it is ok to poo?

Answer
Hello Chantel,

I don't think there is anything you can do to "convince" him that it is okay to poo. There's probably not much you can do besides feeding him soft foods for a few days that will be helpful.
My best advice is to be supportive and sympathetic for a few days until the soreness and any illness he's experiencing goes away. Once he's feeling better and has had a successful poo, things will be fine again. It probably will take longer than you would like, but be patient and let him know you are still loving and affectionate despite his upsetting everyone.
Best,
James Windell  

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell